• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66 options on seats.....

AzPete

Tired of the low back stock look. Not wanting to lower seat pans. Cannot go with higher seating position due to 6'3" at the roof. Do other years of Mustangs (?69-73?) with high back seats fit a '66. What about just using the back with my base? Modifications to seats are possible. How do the later seat backs attach?

How do the later seat backs attach?

IIRC, the seatbacks on my '70 attach the same way that seatbacks on a 65 do, but I don't know if the bases are the same width.

Honestly Pete, I think you'd be thrilled with late model Mustang seats in there. Lowering the seat risers (with the help of Randys' welder) wouldn't take but a 1/2 day. Late model leather seats almost "fall" into place once the risers have been lowered. You just need to swap your existing seat tracks over to the new seats and drill a couple new holes in the late model seat bottoms and everything fits/looks great.

How "late" of a late model do you recommend? What has been done to the rear seats to maych up the upholstery? After reading up on the lowering process, it does not look to bad. I did not know the carpet would fit ok either. Might look into that....

"AzPete" said:
How "late" of a late model do you recommend? What has been done to the rear seats to maych up the upholstery? After reading up on the lowering process, it does not look to bad. I did not know the carpet would fit ok either. Might look into that....

Pete,

Look at 2004 leather Mustang seats. The DS is usually powered, but all of that mess removes when you remove the '04 seat tracks. The existing upholstery (if you have a black vinyl interior) will match up to the new leather seats quite nicely. The '04-ish seats have the running horse logo embossed into the seat back and also come with headrests. After lowering the risers, the carpet is not an issue.

006-9.jpg

003-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We had an '00 GT Vert before the '07. I must say the seats were good. I will have to watch for a cheap set in black. Ahhhh, one more mod. I know it never ends BUT, I need to get past one first....

Thanks Dave.

Back