• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 Coupe EFI - need new gas tank

kyle67

I'm just ordering the 89.95 gas tank with drain plug from Mustangs Unlimited. Anyone see a reason I should get the premium tank?

There is a better deal on ebay that comes with a tank, and sending unit, also fastening hardware and a rubber filler neck tube for 109.00.... Its an north American tank and its nice quality.

(edit: What year car?) = '67 of course Kyle67, sorry I was looking at boss351 reply name....
If for '65-'70 - '65-'68 were 16 gal., '69 20gal., '70 22gal. So if you've got an early model and would like more range out of a tank you can go with the 22gal. 70 tank and get almost 40% more fuel space (6gal.). The top of the tank just gets ~2" taller making it pretty level with the trunk floor. You'll need to tweak the fliller neck to match up with the tank and use a sender that matches the tank year to get the right fuel gauge reading. I've read the American or Canadian tanks are better quality.
Jon

I went ahead and ordered the tank with drain at 16 gallon. Now I just have to figure out how to get a tank out that is full of 5 year old gas.

"kyle67" said:
I went ahead and ordered the tank with drain at 16 gallon. Now I just have to figure out how to get a tank out that is full of 5 year old gas.

Check the right (pass.) front corner of the tank, there may be a drain plug there, there was on my stock '67, made it easy.
Jon

no drain plug, I am replacing a repo tank I installed in 1992 before I had my driver's license. The replacement has one.

"kyle67" said:

Brass punch and a big hammer...knock a big hole in the bottom. :craz I've used a regular chisel before on accident, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're nuts like me.

Brass tools carry a MUCH lower risk of blowing stuff up. :rofl

found me a siphon from the auto parts store. Now I just need to figure out what to do with 15 gallons of 6 year old gas......any ideas? I would never dream of just pouring it out on the side of the road somewhere!

"kyle67" said:
found me a siphon from the auto parts store. Now I just need to figure out what to do with 15 gallons of 6 year old gas......any ideas? I would never dream of just pouring it out on the side of the road somewhere!
Top off your other cars? A little rotten gas won't matter, mixed with fresh stuff. Or, use it for weed killer. :rofl

I pulled 3 gallons out of my car that was only 3 years old. I mixed it 50/50 with real gas and put it in my lawnmower...and then my lawnmower would not start at all.

Siphoned all THAT gas out of the lawnmower and put in fresh gas, and the mower ran great.

Right now I have a gas tank on my shelf full of the bad stuff that says "Bad: DO NOT USE" and haven't figured out what I'm gonna do with it yet.

15 gallons would have been a WHOLE new challenge.

ASteve:
Mix 1 gallon of the old gas with 5 gallons of new gas and burn that in your lawn-mower.

Or set a large pan outside and let a gallon of gas vaporize and warm up the planet!

Well, I would run it in my Excursion V10. I have a 44 gallon tank and I could run it 3-5 gallons at a time.

So, if I were you I would mix it with the fresh gas in my daily drivers. Not 50/50, but 75/25 maybe. Never had a bad gas issue. The 67 had some bad gas in it and I added some fresh stuff and ran it down pretty far and added more fresh stuff. It did run like crap for the first 1/2 of the tank, but that didn't take long to go through on a trip to Vegas.

Mel

The county should have a hazardous liquids disposal unit at the dump, er.. recycling center. I had no idea until I called them up.

Flush it down the toilet. It will not be worse than anything else that shows up at the typical waste water treatment plant.

Just make sure that you've flushed the toilet a few times before sitting down and smoking a cigarette.

Funny story..... Many years ago working on the flightline we generated a 3 gallon bucket of jet fuel from purging (like bleeding the brakes on a car) an aircrafts fuel system. We had been using a 55 gallon drum to dump waste fuel/oil into, but the hazmat guys had picked it up and not returned it. Not wanting to leave it for the next shift, we dumped it into the toilet.... I could have sworn that we flushed the toilet afterwards, but I guess not. The next morning one of the pilots was sitting there, lit a cigarette and burned all of the hair off of his arse/satchel. No, we never fessed up to it.

The right thing to do is take it to a haz mat dump but since no good deed goes unpunished, I'm sure I will spill old gas all in my daily.

I poured about 8 gallons of gas in a field behind my house this afternoon, not once did it occur to me that people will be popping fireworks there shortly. I may have some exciting new year stories tomorrow.

"kyle67" said:
Now I just need to figure out what to do with 15 gallons of 6 year old gas......any ideas? I would never dream of just pouring it out on the side of the road somewhere!

"kyle67" said:
I poured about 8 gallons of gas in a field behind my house this afternoon...

:lol

Back