• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'67 dash 5" or 3 3/8" big tach?

Jonk67

Well Rick, fast68back, awarded me with a gauge panel that's in better shape than my original and I've found a SW 3 3/8" tach for sale for ~$60 less than new uninstalled. Thanks again Rick, I made it home in my lugage w/o damage.

I measured the face of the gas/amp gauge in the big cluster and it looks like the face has ~3 1/2" exposed +/-, would the 3 3/8" gauge work if I mount it flush or I could remove the chrome trim ring from the gauge and mount the gauge bare w/o the glass behind the dash lens? Would this fit either way or would i need a gap spacer of some sort?
Thanks, Jon

I thought that the 67-68 clusters used 5" gauges for the speedo/tach gauges? I'm not sure how rigging a 3 3/8ths gauge would work/look.

I think you're right Dave but was hoping the 3 3/8" would work.
Great tutorial, thanks Rick, well it looks like they need to be 5" to fill all that space, I'll keep looking.
Jon

i thought about the 3 3/8 ones before deciding to go with a 5". You could do it. The bezel natural has a little lip on the inside face of the opening. All it would take is a disc to fit down in there. Like a huge washer where the smaller gauge would fit inside the opening from the front, and then mount from the back with the bracket. If you want to get creative, it would work with less effort then it takes to attach the 5 inch ones. Just a thought.

I think that it would look odd/butchered with a 5" speedo right beside a 3.375" tach. IMO, the "right" way to do it would be to use a 5" tach.

I think you're right Dave, if it were just one gauge pod it might look ok but with 2 openings the same size, one with 5" of gauge showing and the one next to it with 3 1/2" of gauge showing would throw it off. I currently have the retrogauge tach (8K wish I would have stuck with the 6K) in my clock opening, guess I'll stick with that for now until I can find a period correct looking SW type tach that I can afford and bring myself to cut the ring off of.
Thanks, Jon

Back