• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 coupe build

Dragged car out of garage due to locked front wheel. Washed it and unlocked wheel. Then turned car around and pushed back in garage to be disasembled.
9e9equzu.jpg

With all the effort and money your putting into the car you should consider having it soda blasted. That is the only way your going to get that hidden rust. It would be a shame to have that rust sneak up on you after all this work. :dun

"I make oil" said:
With all the effort and money your putting into the car you should consider having it soda blasted. That is the only way your going to get that hidden rust. It would be a shame to have that rust sneak up on you after all this work. :dun
I make this argument every time I see a guy putting in all the time and cost of trying to do such by hand. Sometimes the budget prevents the layout of a big lump sum of cash all at once. I still argue save up and do it anyway.

I don't like the use of soda though. Very hard to get it all cleaned off and not affect your painting efforts later. I don't like the idea of having to wash a bare metal body. I can't see how you do not get surface rust that doesn't get fixed. There are plenty of medias that can be used to do the job damage free that do not require/risk the need of a later bath. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

I would get in blasted but funds not there with second child on way.

With blasting it dont ya got to have everything off and out of the car. Im meaning electrical,interior and what ever else im missing.

Yes, it's best to strip the car all the way down. That is what I did with Shag as seen here. The blasting revealed a pretty crappy passenger's front floor pan.

ShagOnLift.JPG

Here is mine after blast and preparing to prime. I had it soda blasted and payed around $900. After it was done vacumed, blew it off with dry air. Had no problems with residual soda. I saw them blast with powdered glass last night on Gas Monkey and after they vacumed, blew with dry air and walked it around the parking lot on a cart to vibrate any media out of cracks and crevices. I would never go through the work and expense you are without blasting especially if your planning on keeping the car. You will have to redo it again in just a few years. Check my build thread and you'll see all the damage that was found on my car.

Attachments

• Blast and Prime.jpg
    Blast and Prime.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 16
I would love to do a media blast. Space is non existant at the moment to put the parts from the car. My goal at the curent moment is just get her road worthy again. I do apretiate everyones advice though.

Well iafter waiting for a part that a company no longer carried and getting one from someone else i got most of the car back together before my daughter was born this week. Its got most of the big parts on so i can push to the back of our barn till spring.
nydany7u.jpg

So, five months later we get a pick with the fenders back on? What did you do? What got repaired or replaced. Details my man!

Congrats on the birth of your daughter.

I replaced just the lower cowl and did a in depth inspection of whole outside of car for any more rust. The two holes in cowl are from my gramps attempting fix issue yrs ago but he just made it worse.

Last edited:
Back