• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 fold down seat

Dyno68FB

I have a 68 and going for a daily driver. I picked up a 65 fold down and complete rear seat. Trying to find out if anyone knows if this 65 will fit a 68? I know the trim is different for the fold down and there are two latches vs. one. This guy needs new carpet and molding. My question is are the 65 and 68 fold down and rear seat the same physical size? Can they easily be modified to fit? Or at very least does someone want to swap?

I believe the 65/66 rear seat is narrower than the 67/68. Why not look around for a 68 setup?

So the fold down seat website is great for id ing which fold down u have but I cannot find the info that I am asking about on that site. Also nothing about the seat itself. I emailed the guy with no response. I have been looking for a 67/68 fold down without any luck and grabbed this one on Craig's list for what I thought was a steal. I at least have something now to trade or refurb n sell

What I found on the site was to read from the 66 to the 67 to the 68....there is a comparison of such...

67 fold down seats are nearly identical to 66 with the exception of having two latches and the latch guides were metal and mount with 3 screws. For review, or in case you did not look at the 66 page, the 67 seat has oval seat support plates on the rear panel, and the front panel has a seat support bumper that looks like a small rubber foot.

1968 fold down seats started off identical to the 1967 fold down seats. If you have an early 1968 fastback, select to the left the page for the 67 specific information. I will proceed below with the details of changes that were implemented mid model year 68.

Dyno,
Measure the length of your 65 fold down seat. Measure the upright backrest, trim to trim. I will do the same on my 68.

My back rest measures 41" overall length er....width from trim to trim. The lower seat measures 40" wide.

My fold down seat is a hodge podge of parts from different years. The chrome plated trim that wraps around the individual panels is listed for 65-67, so it shouldn't be much different for '68. The only issue I encountered was they included two versions of the drivers side trim for the curved panel of which a couple screw holes didn't line up. Otherwise it fits perfectly.

FYI, the metal backer for the upright portion of a "fixed" seat is the same panel used on the fold down version. I'm pretty sure mine came from a '66, and I think the curved panel came from a '67... I don't think you'll encounter any show stopper issues.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-fol ... 7/p/M3507/

Cmayna... It appears that my fold down is 41 in wide. The bottom seat appears to be tapered. The bottom part (where your butt would touch) of the seat is 40in wide. The top part (what would hit the small of your back) is 39in wide. I appreciate you taking the time to measure for me. Sounds like they are physically identical. The hardware portion I understand and am going to replace that anyway. Thanks everyone for your help.

It is gonna take me some time. I get it tomorrow after dropping it off at the body shop in July. It is a Dynacorn so not even one wire in it yet. The fun begins this weekend.

Back