• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

71-73 Door beltline replacement- Door Felt

A

Anonymous

I have a few questions for some of you folks. I took my chrome off of my car today and when it came time to take the door felt off I found the the ones on the outside were 3"wide by the length of the door. When I went to order a new one none of them were more then 3/4" wide. Is this to be expected. On other thing, when I took the metal that holds the door weather seal off there was a sticky rubber seal between the chrome part and the door frame. What is that tape called and where do I get it when I put it back in. My car goes in for paint this week. Wheee.

Is this to be expected.

Yes, the repop pieces are not the same "width" as the originals, but will work just fine.

sticky rubber seal between the chrome part and the door frame. What is that tape called and where do I get it when I put it back in

The "chrome part" is called your "roof side rail channel trim" and should be stainless steel. These pieces clean up nicely with some rubbing compound and a mini-buffer. The "tape" is more of a weatherstrip than anything else. It's purpose is to create a watertight seal between the roof side rail channel trim and roof side rail channel. There is debate as to what is the proper material to use. The seals are not identified in the aftermarket catalogs (not that I'm aware of). Some people use "glass setting tape" (available at your local auto glass shop). Most people (me included) seem to use hardware store closed cell foam weatherstripping tape. It'll come in a roll big enough to do both sides and will get the job done.

Good Luck!

Hmm do they make that tape thin enough to work on the car? I will have to look at it befire I decide. Got all of the chrome of today but had to use a hand impact to get the srews out of the drip rail. Gotter done.

Yes, some of those screws can be a bugger. On that note, make sure none of the screws have rusted to an "oversize" condition. There's not much worse than going to install the shiny reconditioned trim onto the freshly painted car and have the screws fall into (and out of) the hole.

Hmm do they make that tape thin enough to work on the car?

They sell it at Lowes/Ace Hardware. You basically want something to prevent leaks from a metal to metal contact that won't trap moisture. Cut-up strips of an old inner tube would work.

Dallas Mustang sells this stuff;

0003781.jpg

Shows to be for late models, but stands to reason you could use it on an early car.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/products.php?product=3781

I will check it out at lowes and then dallas mustang. I may be able to use some of that stuff in my ac ducts when I do that next. Since I had to take the dash pad off to get off the front pillar plastic I think that should be my next job. My new AC is here and I cannot wait to install it.

Back