• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

9" wheels up front?

Will I run into problems if I choose to run a 9" wheel in the front of my 68? Right now I have 8" up front. (don't think about it) I will have to use spacers as these are for a later year. Can I space it out far enough to clear and not rub on the fender?

Do you have power steering? 9" seems very wide for the front. What are you going to run on the rears?
Stan

To tell you the truth, I really don't want to run 9s on the front. It's the narrowest wheel in the FR500 line up. I really like these wheels. I was going to stick a 10" wheel in the rear. My rear is wider than stock so I was going to go with a 7" bs on the back and a 6" or less in the front with a spacer. I want BFG drag radials or maybe the Nitto drag radial. I kinda like the MTs as well.

Why drag radials if you're going with wide wheels up front? Usually the idea is super wide wheels and drag radials in the back and smaller wheels/tires (or skinnies) up front. Those wide FR500 rims are more of a road race setup, in which case I'd recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's or BFG G-Force KDW's.

"Mustang Mike" said:
To tell you the truth, I really don't want to run 9s on the front. It's the narrowest wheel in the FR500 line up. I really like these wheels.

Can't you have the fronts narrowed to 8" wide? It might be expensive, but if that is what you want...

I wasn't too clear on my tire selection. It would be drag radials on the rear and a good tire on front like the KDW2.

I did read an article where the guy did run FR500 wheels and had the front cut down to 8". It was a green coupe and the FR500's were black.

You've got two different tires for two different purposes there. The KDW2's are designed for traction and handling and will allow that end to grip well, but the drag radials will have really soft sidewalls that are great for straight line but suck for handling.

I mean, it'll work, but if it were me, I'd slap KDW2's all the way around. You might not get quite as much traction in a straight line, but it would turn a whole lot better.

"Mustang Mike" said:
I did read an article where the guy did run FR500 wheels and had the front cut down to 8". It was a green coupe and the FR500's were black.

I think I saw that car at a Fort Worth car show a couple summers ago. I'm pretty sure it was a '67 coupe. It looked amazing!

"Mustang Mike" said:
I wasn't too clear on my tire selection. It would be drag radials on the rear and a good tire on front like the KDW2.

Kevin, the guy that owns that coupe post on protouring.com, super nice guy. He hooked me up with the shop that painted my car. Here is a link to the stats on his wheel/tire combo.

linky
linky2

IMG_4170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back