• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

99 GT tail light revival

tarafied1

My wife and I gave our 99 GT to our son who is in college. He has also the 69 Mach 1 but we wanted him to focus on school so the Mach 1 is on back burner. Anyway, he works part time at Advance Auto so he has gas money and other expenses covered.
But he still wants to personalize the 99 to make it his own. So anyway, he bought some export/Cobra tail lights on eBay. He likes them just because they are different. They have the amber turn signal on a separate circuit. They are fairly rare and not repopped so h they can bring a lot on eBay.
He found a set that were cheap. They look like they came from a car that was under water!

In order to fix them up we baked them at 230 degrees F. Tried to split them open. Took a while to get them to come apart but then we cleaned up the inside and switched the lense to the original housing. I had to make the light socket in the original because it didn't have an extra bulb for turn signal. Then we used sealer to "glue" or bond it back together. It has to sit 24 hours. I hope it works.
They were dark and had moisture in them. You can see once we got them apart, the chrome plating on the plastic was almost all gone versus the original. IMG_3672.jpg IMG_3671.jpg IMG_3670.jpg IMG_3673.jpg

he has also changed the lower rocker panels from the GT/V6 style pretty much all SN95's have to the Cobra style. He changed the sail panels to Bullitt (I didn't even know they were different!) and we have a Terminator Cobra front bumper and hood. The hood was damaged when someone backed into it so we worked with the bodyshop to pay the difference and put on the Cobra hood instead of stock. He bought he bumper and other body parts later. It will need to be painted but he still wants a Cobra rear bumper yet.
We also cut the front coils and lowered it. Going to cut the rear next.

Lots of changes but nothing to over the top or rice. I like it. Need more pics of everything.

I miss my old 02 Roush. Like the SN95s. Should have found a way to hang onto it. I need to move where I can have a bigger garage!

these pics were before we lowered it. the hood got painted but the rest of the body parts were stuff he has added.IMG_3541.jpg IMG_3539.jpg

Lots of changes but nothing to over the top or rice. I like it. Need more pics of everything.

I miss my old 02 Roush. Like the SN95s. Should have found a way to hang onto it. I need to move where I can have a bigger garage!
I never paid much attention to SN95's until my wife picked this one. I really love it. Kind of hated to give it to my son but he simply loves the car!

Looking good. I really like that body style. Wanted a vert to do alot of what he's done.
he wants to make it look mean like the Termi Cobra but not badge it as a Cobra. Eventually he wants IRS and a 4 cam but that is after college too!

Back