• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A wonderful day for a welding lesson

abrahamfh

Good afternoon everyone, one of the great things about this hobby and the great people that keep it alive is that we help each other and always try to pay it forward.

Thank you John(Opentracker), for teaching me your bad arse welding skills. I remember clearly how, once I started to get the hang of it, I really felt like I was a kid at the candy store and my parents had told me I can have all the candy I wanted :yah.

All of John's generosity, wisdom and PATIENCE has helped motivate me to want to pay it forward.

Ian(Joyr1der) had contacted me a week ago in regards to some welding pointers, so, today he came over to visit Fred and I as well as throw down a welding lesson. Craig also had some time and came by to say hello and chat for a little while(Always good to see you Craig).

I did everything in my capacity to mimic everything that John had taught me, we focused on setup, technique followed by practice practice practice.

We had a really good time and he did awesome. I was really really happy to have been able to help out another fellow Mustang'er and can't wait to do it again.

084716f0.jpg

5dbd223e.jpg

He was making very quick progress
2e9cccaa.jpg

Almost there, pretty darn farking good if you ask me
05a719c6.jpg

Another half hour to an hour more of practicing and he was going to be way better than me
c0010c0a.jpg

I had a really great time hanging out with Ian and chatting about life and its twist and turns it likes to lay before us. I really enjoy our hobby a lot, but I have to say that I enjoy the people that make this hobby what it is even more(I have yet to drive a vintage anything so I will report back once I actually drive Fred, LoL).

You can follow Ian's build on his blog http://68redmustang.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... nning.html

That is pretty cool. Nicely done guys.

This is what the hobby is all about.
It's not about money or who has a better car. It all about making friends, helping others, and enjoying time together. Paying it forward is a great way to show your respect for what has been given to you.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

"RapidRabbit" said:
That is pretty cool. Nicely done guys.

It's not about money or who has a better car. It all about making friends, helping others, and enjoying time together. Paying it forward is a great way to show your respect for what has been given to you.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

:stu :sm_NTA

"70_Fastback" said:
Is it just me, or is that galvanized steel...?

Definitely don't want to be breathing in any Galvanized. Yikes.

Those pieces are the remnants from the SS tubing John uses for his roller spring perches. I take my cut off wheel and make two cuts on opposite sides down the length of the tube then pound it flat with a BFH.

John, do you remove a portion of the AL coating first prior to welding?

When I welded me headers, I ground each tube to bare metal, it created a much cleaner weld IMO.

I clean everything before welding, it does make for a nicer weld. I can get a nice weld with the alum. tubing. I don't remove it all but it does look clean before welding.

"RapidRabbit" said:

+2 :thu

Back