• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Add a switch?

RustyRed

I've been kicking around various ideas for adding a kill switch to the Mustang.

Anyone done something like this?

I was thinking it might not be any more difficult than putting a switch in one of the ignition wires and then hiding it up under the dash somewhere.

Have a seperate idea for locking the hood down to prevent bypassing the ignition under there.

I opted for a fuel cutoff in the trunk instead. Reasoning is that the car will start and then seem to run out of gas. May keep the car from getting trashed if the thief thinks that it's just out of fuel.

It will only work if you can find a way to secure the hood. Otherwise, a theif is goin to jumper the coil from the battery and e off with the vehicle, never realizing you put a kill switch in to prevent that.

I have 3 switches to help prevent theft, But they will not stop a tow truck or trailer.
One switch drops the starter sol from engaging, simple in-line from neutral safety switch.
Two switches for ignition, One cuts power to coil and one grounds tach lead which prevents starting even if they use the jumper wire for hotwiring.

"Mach1Rider" said:
I have 3 switches to help prevent theft, But they will not stop a tow truck or trailer.
One switch drops the starter sol from engaging, simple in-line from neutral safety switch.
Two switches for ignition, One cuts power to coil and one grounds tach lead which prevents starting even if they use the jumper wire for hotwiring.
great ideas, where do you hide the switches?

What I was thinking about is a switch that can be hidden under or behind the dash to cut the volts to the coil or something along those lines.

Have a couple of possible ideas for how to secure the hood down so they can't jump it in that manner.

I have the stock center console in and 2 of them are behind the front ash tray cover,
one is on the steering col cover.
Trick is to have them ALL in the proper position for it to start/run.

As for finding the best spot for yours, Sit in the seat and look around.
Key is to be able to touch the switch without anyone knowing what you are doing if they are watching.

I also have 3 on the 68, one is mounted under the front of the drivers seat.

I have 2 cut off switches.

1) since i have a trunk mounted battery, I installed a master cut off switch mounted in the right side reverse light that cuts power to the entire electrical system. the lever can be quickly & easily removed, which makes the switch much less noticeable.

2379107_86_full.jpg

2) an ignition switch cut off mounted under the dash that interrupts the solenoid power. yes, someone could jump this switch, but since I eliminated the fender apron solenoid by using a mini starter, the thief would have to crawl under the car to access the starter/solenoid.

Back