• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Air cleaner options?

Dne'

I honestly didn't know the distributor was going to be this one with the coil in the top when I was told about getting an electronic dist, but I'll do with it for now. I was searching the net looking for alternative air cleaners, maybe one that runs over to where the battery used to be, (I'll be installing the battery in the trunk). Would anyone of my fellow geniouses know if such an air cleaner system exists?
IMG_7503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen one that kinda T's off the card with air filters on each side can't find link to one online maybe someone else knows what im talking about

That one is for small engines only. I would not use it. Are you looking for something for hood clearance or just a different look? For clearance issues, you will still need a tube to come off of the carb top that will not restrict air flow,

Here is one to read on how to. Seems this guy gave up.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4578855.html

Dne,
When you post a link, use the Icon (picture of the planet) or paste the link between the [ u r l] [ / u r l ] this way readers can click the link and be directed to the web page. I modified your posts to fix the links.

That said, your ditributor is taller than most, but that only limits a few air filter setups. If you have room under your hood, you could run a carb spacer which would gain some room and could run a filter over the dizzy. You could run the carb spacer and a shorter air filter if need for underhood clearance.

Looking at your valve cover choice, why not run one like this

fms-m-9600-r302_w.jpg

On my car, I have plenty of clearance

2_21_12_08_10_56_20_2.JPG

Thank you for fixing the links, I didn't know how to make them to where you just click on them~ now I know! Thank you!
Actually, I don't know how much room I have beneath my hood as my motor is not in it yet :doh! I know I'm premature in looking, but I tend to do that! but then I would think most people do. When I move my battery to the trunk, I thought a cold air system could fit where the battery used to be filling that void.
I originally would have liked to have the long oval air cleaner(Shebly). If I were to use a carb spacer, could I use the Shelby type? I am using just a stock hood, so I have no clue as to the room beneath it.
thanks!

For somre reason the 67/68 do not have as much underhood clearance as the 65/66. Like I mentioned, you could always just run a shorter air cleaner, that would help, clearance wise. Can you set a ruler or flat stock on top of the dizzy and run it to the air cleaner base on the carb, that would tell you if you need a carb spacer to fit over the dizzy.

How about these photos? Kind of shows a little more in detail. Again, this is thinking way in advance, but just checking out the options! I do appreciate the help and advice!
dne'

IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back