• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Alternator wiring question

Dne'

HI! I'd look this up myself, but I can't find my shop manual ANYWHERE! I want to install my alternator and just want to make sure the wires are in the correct spots? and the large eyelet goes to ground?
*kind of a dumb question, but can I start the stang without the turn signal hooked up?
*how about the dash, does the dash need to be pluggd in?

With a battery charger acting as my power source, I have fire to the starter side of the solenoid with the key turned to the start position, and power at one of the leads going to where the coil side wire would be. There are 3 leads coming off the feed for the coil; 2 slipon/push on connectors and female spade type(looks like a ground).

I hope to get the motor running next weekend, but just want to make sure nothing is going to short out! Once the motor has been started and not making any weird noises, then I'll begin connecting all the rest of the stuff on the motor. Any advice is great!

IMG_8550.jpg

and the large eyelet goes to ground?

No. The large eyelet connects to the battery side of the Starter Solenoid.

can I start the stang without the turn signal hooked up?
*how about the dash, does the dash need to be pluggd in?

I see no reason why you can't start the car with either the TS or the intrument cluster not connected. Just be careful that no 12V "hot" wires could accidentally ground out while disconnected.

2 slipon/push on connectors and female spade type(looks like a ground).

I don't remember the coil having a ground connection on it. Any pictures? What type of coil?

Thanks Dave! I hope it reaches, looks kind of short. Someone at a Mustang store told me the large eyelet went to the engine! I wasn't going to connect to anything until I found out.

IMG_8552-1.jpg

Also not sure about where it plugged in to the dash harness.
IMG_8553.jpg

Obviously my cap without the distributor.
IMG_8556.jpg

Ok, be nice!

Age and memory suck.

Tell me about it.... I think you are correct Pete. On second look, that large eyelet may be a ground connection. I'd like to see the whole ALT harness though.

I've never seen that spade connector. Perhaps it is for the electric choke on the carb?

Wiring for batteries:
black/red is ground. There's an eyelet for the alternator, and a larger one for the engine block.
White: goes to FLD or Field.
White/black stripe: goes to STA or Stator
black/yellow stripe: goes to BAT or Battery

The alternator should have these markings as castings besides each post. Many Mustangs don't use STA.

photos no prob!

O-ok~ so the big eyelet goes to ground? Theres a place on the block that would take that large eyelet! Where I'm probably going to put the ground from the battery. It's a 7/16 thread size. oh, it is a '67.

IMG_8557.jpg

The large eyelet from the alternator harness AND the large eyelet from the battery negative cable both go under a bolt head near the bottom front of the block.

Thank you!

Thank you Midlife(and everyone else too!)! now I can rest for this evening! I'll install the alternator tomorrow and button up a bunch more stuff!
dne'

"Midlife" said:
The large eyelet from the alternator harness AND the large eyelet from the battery negative cable both go under a bolt head near the bottom front of the block.

Back