• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Am I crazy or Stupid?

EFI or original engine?

• Keep the EFI setup

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Rebuild and reinstall original engine

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finish the EFI and drive it while I rebuild my original engine.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Give up and sell the car.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
I have free time, I'm not an EFI guru but my brother and some friends are big into EFI for Mud trucks. I can speed up your project/help you -It would be an honor. I have a truck/trailer too, I know it would be like dropping your kid off at an unknown daycare :wth Just some things to ponder- Chance

Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

Thanks for the offer. I could use some help running the fuel lines. The welding is what I really need help with. I have no idea how to tackle it and no welder as of now.

Am I crazy or Stupid?

"Midlife" said:
Since when is replacing rusty frame rails a weekend job?

He's patching the ends where the frame horns bolt to for the bumpers - where the captive nuts are. Easy peasy.

Re: Re: Am I crazy or Stupid?

"RapidRabbit" said:
The only parts I need yet are the push on connectors for the fuel rails and fuel line. I bought some hard line a while back, but never used it. Trying to figure out if I should run braided line or steel. And I have to figure which route I'm going with the return line to the fuel sending unit.

Running braided lines front to back can get quite pricey... I ran 5/16 steel lines supply and return lines the length of the car and then converted from 5/16 tubing to braided steel lines up to the fuel rail using Russell fittings. At the tank side, I used high pressure plastic lines between the pump and filter, then again from the filter to the steel tubing. For low pressure connections you can use regulare fuel tubing, but I used EFI hose for those few short connections. ( Tank to external pump and steel return line to return fitting on sender) You can use compression fittings with the brass sleeve to join the plastic to steel. I have some EFI plastic line if you need some.

Am I crazy or Stupid?

"RapidRabbit" said:
I need to have the front outer frame rails replaced where the bumper mounts. I bought the metal patch pieces already.

The only parts I need yet are the push on connectors for the fuel rails and fuel line. I bought some hard line a while back, but never used it. Trying to figure out if I should run braided line or steel. And I have to figure which route I'm going with the return line to the fuel sending unit.

I have the two connectors for the fuel rail that accept EFI hose. I went with braided hose and AN fittings. I'd you want to use hose, I can send you these no charge.

"stangg" said:
Running braided lines front to back can get quite pricey... I ran 5/16 steel lines supply and return lines the length of the car and then converted from 5/16 tubing to braided steel lines up to the fuel rail using Russell fittings. At the tank side, I used high pressure plastic lines between the pump and filter, then again from the filter to the steel tubing. For low pressure connections you can use regulare fuel tubing, but I used EFI hose for those few short connections. ( Tank to external pump and steel return line to return fitting on sender) You can use compression fittings with the brass sleeve to join the plastic to steel. I have some EFI plastic line if you need some.

"kb3" said:
I have the two connectors for the fuel rail that accept EFI hose. I went with braided hose and AN fittings. I'd you want to use hose, I can send you these no charge.

If you guys dont need that stuff that would be great. Send me your paypal and let me know what you want for it.
Thanks.

You know? I would have spent less time finishing your car than it took me to read this post. Yes, finish the EFI and keep the original motor in case you decide to sell it.

I want the car done before we move. It's much easier if it is mobile. No idea if I will have a garage when me move. Might end up in an apt for a bit. Otherwise it goes into a storage unit and ends up on storage wars someday.

Am I crazy or Stupid?

I cant weld either but i managed to put my car together and it hasn't fallen apart(yet). And Bill still let me loose with the welder on his car too!
You just need to be handy with a grinder.
I wish we could all just show up and do a "StangFix" instead of a Foose.
You gotta get thing ready for the Power Tour

"tarafied1" said:
I cant weld either but i managed to put my car together and it hasn't fallen apart(yet). And Bill still let me loose with the welder on his car too!
You just need to be handy with a grinder.
I wish we could all just show up and do a "StangFix" instead of a Foose.
You gotta get thing ready for the Power Tour

Is that why you did all the fiberglass? Just kidding.

Pat, maybe I missed it, but did you make a final decision on where you'd be moving? (sorry to get off topic)

No we haven't made a decision yet.
It kind of depends on where I have a store opening for me. The Carolina's are probably topping the list currently. Mostly because of her parents being in Fl. We want alaina to know get grandparents.

"RapidRabbit" said:
No we haven't made a decision yet.
It kind of depends on where I have a store opening for me. The Carolina's are probably topping the list currently. Mostly because of her parents being in Fl. We want alaina to know get grandparents.

and to think, I moved 1,300 miles away from mine.

What I really need is someone to teach me how to weld. I should take a class at the tech college or something.

Am I crazy or Stupid?

"RapidRabbit" said:
What I really need is someone to teach me how to weld. I should take a class at the tech college or something.

Not necessary, you can teach yourself. Just pick up a Mig and practice, practice, practice. You'll be surprised how fast it comes to you.

"monkeystash" said:
Not necessary, you can teach yourself. Just pick up a Mig and practice, practice, practice. You'll be surprised how fast it comes to you.
Yes, that is true, but you can also learn some bad habits and not learn how to do things right. Personally, I took some classes at night at the local VoTech school to learn some of the basics and then went forward on my own. For a few dollars and a few hours, the knowledge imparted is well worth it. JMHO.

Back