• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ammeter jumping around.....

lleno

hey now, Thanks everyone for the help with installing my new harnesses, I got the alternator and engine gauge feed ones installed. I had to remove the alternator, I thoroughly wire brushed and washed all the nuts bolts and connections., especially the main ground connection on the engine.Anything I take off the car I thoroughly "restore' as best I can. Anyway, when I start the car the ammeter jumps a bit to the "C" side, it will move in time with my accelerations, and slowly settle to the centerline and stay there[takes about 30 seconds to settle].It stays there for the duration of my trip.It did this when I first got the car, then went away. I checked all connections, they are clean and tight.Any ideas what this could be???Thanks.....

Normal...... Starting the car causes a need for a bit of a charge, then as the battery comes up to normal, the gauge settles. Does it move when you step on the brakes, turn on the lights or wipers or open the doors? This would also be normal as long as it is not a real wide swing.

Back