• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Another refugee...

Welcome PJ. I hope to see more pics. of the vert., and if nobody has already told you. We need our Pics. fix every day. :lol

Your car did turn out great. Your car may be yellow but at least it is a convertible! :lol Welcome aboard. :vic

"cmayna" said:
PJ,
Sorry to rain on this warm welcome post, but have you had your shots yet? If not, I'd use extra protection when surfing this site until Dr. Midlife approves your test results. Yes we have yummy dark cookies over here but they'll give you a bad rash unless you have had the shots. Your sudden desire to chase farm animals will not decrease until..........yes, you have had your shots.

But before your body starts twitching at say 1-2am every night, I say welcome to StangFix.

Also be careful because Craig is the 'nurse'. :scar

Now there is a proper hood scoop. :) :naug

Engine compartment:

DSC00586-1.jpg

DSC00583-1.jpg

DSC00585-1.jpg

Welcome, and if I remember you correctly you did some serious reworking of the bumpers. I think we spoke about it on the other site IIRC

"RyanG85" said:
PJ, Are those steel or fiberglass bumpers? Did you rework the front or is that stock?

They are steel, and I reworked both.

I cut the front into three pieces, took 1/2" out of each side, and rewelded it together. I also trimmed the inside corners to better fit the corner of the car. Finally, I welded studs to the back for the smooth, no-bolts look. I removed the outer bumper bracket on each side, and filled the notch in the valance. I modified the main brackets so that the bumper fit tighter to the body. The little brackets to the fenders are still there.

Out back, I cut it in two, took 3/8" out of the middle, and rewelded it. I also filled the bolt holes, but had to make custom brackets for mounting it. Biggest mod was reshaping the ends to match the QP extensions.

You'll find that both bumpers now fit the car like no Mustang bumper ever did.

I'll post photos in my gallery tomorrow.

You did some excellent work on them! I'm in the process of doing mine on the 65. I opted for fiberglass for the ease of working them. Adding alot of glass to the rear one to make it fit the body better. Get that gallery up, would love to see the process.

"RyanG85" said:
You did some excellent work on them! I'm in the process of doing mine on the 65. I opted for fiberglass for the ease of working them. Adding alot of glass to the rear one to make it fit the body better. Get that gallery up, would love to see the process.

I uploaded some photos to my "Bumpers" gallery. I have more if you want to see something these don't.

It's hard to explain what's going on with the rear bumper, but with it removed, if you look down on the rear bumper from the top, the "V" you see is much wider than the QP extension is. Stock, the flanges of the bumper stick out on both sides more or less symmetrically, and looks OK. But, when I shortened it, bringing the outside edges in flush with the body, the inner flange became badly misaligned. In order to pinch the V down, I had to slice the bumper and reshape the end. I'll try to find a pic that illustrates the superior alignment, now.

When "shaving" the bolts, you can't use studs because you can't get them over the stock bracket. So, I came up with this custom bracket that still allows a little adjustment. As you can see from the rear photos, the alignment is spot on.

djee , that looks awesome.Nice ride!!
I saw the pictures of your crashed car and i may contact you in the futere because my vert had have a big smak in the rear in the past.
Ooh , welcome to the board.

"PJ Moran" said:
I'll try to find a pic that illustrates the superior alignment, now.

I have added some up close shots of the end of the rear bumper to my Bumpers gallery. In those, the black stripe is temporarily done with electrical tape. It's now painted.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll try to upload some of mine to show how they are coming out. Got a bit of fitting done today on the rear.

"abrahamfh" said:
Congratulations member number 383. LoL! Someone will be by shortly to welcome you to the dark side and offer you some yummy cookies. :beat
Welcome aboard.

I've been here since Jan 09, but haven't really posted.

So how do you find out your member number? I'm just curious.

Thanks for the quick reply. I like that, member number one one one! Comin' up on my one year anniversary here in...one one zero-(Jan. '10)!!

Back