• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anyone ever tried to fix an impact wrench?

janschutz

Corn Hauler
My Craftsman Impact Wrench (Model 875.199460) is not working. Anyone ever tried to fix one of these or should I just go and get a new one? Sears has a parts and repair center about 20 miles from my office. But the last time I was there, I had to give them all the part numbers I needed. The help there were all idiots, so I hate going there. :eek:mg

I've never done it, but I know that my dad, a heavy equipment mechanic, has torn 'em apart and rebuilt them. So, depending on what's wrong with it, it can be done. What is yours doing or not doing? what's the problem?

"66gt350" said:
I've never done it, but I know that my dad, a heavy equipment mechanic, has torn 'em apart and rebuilt them. So, depending on what's wrong with it, it can be done. What is yours doing or not doing? what's the problem?

+1 My BIL fixes them all the time. I know that he had one with the same problem. I believe it was an o-ring

I've haven't taken one apart, but it does sound like air is being bypassed. I'd have to agree with Jim and think it's an o-ring that has gone bad. Or maybe even something has froze up inside. Do you oil it frequently?

"66gt350" said:
Do you oil it frequently?

What! You got to oil these things, why didn't someone tell me. :eek:mg It had been setting in the tool box for a long time and I do not remember the last time I oiled it.

I guess something is just froze. I will try to take it apart this weekend.

Dont be afraid, just tear into it. I've had a few of them apart through the years. Rarely did any I've had apart need more than a good cleaning and freeing up of parts.

Try this stuff by Blaster. I have used it before with great results. I pull the trigger in on the tool and just fill it up as much as I can and let it sit for awhile.... Then connect the air and let the oil spray out. It's pretty messy.

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/multilist_172/blaster_products.html

BLP16-404ATC-EA_l.jpg

Back