• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Attaching deluxe door panel trim

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Here, I have salvaged the exterior door panel trim which are attached by dimpling on the backside as you can see in the last pic. How does one normally attached used trim pieces onto a new panel with these dimples being in the way? I'm thinking of with the use of a small piece of right angle metal in a vise, slide the trim piece onto the right angle where each dimple is located and carefully/lightly hammer the dimple somewhat flat allowing the channel of the trim to open up for ease of attaching.

Then "re-dimple the dimple" (sounds so :shee )

tejapapu.jpg

hyhubady.jpg

e3uda3ed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I have done this, I used a metal blade putty knife to slightly release the dimples from the old panels while pulling the trim off. Go slow and it will come off without damage. To attach the trim to the new panels, align the trim by eye and using the palm of your hand (or I suppose a rubber faced mallet would work) slightly muscle the trim on, paying particular attention to the alignment of the closed "U" end of the trim relative to centering the panel in the trim. No need to re-dimple the trim once installed as the tight fit should be enough to keep it from moving around.

Did you have an issue with the trim wanting to pop off at the open end?

ypynasy9.jpg

There are small holes on the back side that I suppose I could put a small screw in to hold them in place.

udarubyb.jpg

The other panel the trim fits snug and appears fine.

This is all reproduction parts by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are a PITA to replace. I think I ended up using some VERY small screws to secure it. Kinda like the ones used on the vent window trim. No problem with them once installed on the door. Be careful, these things like to cut you too.

One of my doors, not sure if original had a wire from a hole at the end wrapped around one of the tabs. It was pretty interesting.

I didn't use any screws on the ends. Don't think it will be a problem, but if so, I will use screws.

Back