• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Autmeter Fuel & Electrical Gauges

johnpro

Two of my new gauges are acting goofy. There's nothing in the wiring diagrams that shows the color of the fuel sender wire, so I'm guessing I goofed with picking the Green/Black one, eh?

Then Electrical gauge is even more bizarre. With only one lead hooked up, I get 12v. With both leads hooked up, I get 16. That can't be write! What am I doing wrong?

Thinking back to when I installed my gauges...on the back there are three terminals: S, I, and G. For the voltmeter the S isn't used -- its for gauges with a sending unit. The I is hooked up to a wire that's hot with the ignition on, and the G is ground. Which wires are you hooking up?

For the fuel wire color, can you crawl under the car or in the truck to trace back the wire from the sending unit to get the color....in theory it should be the same at the dash end. I repeat in theory!!

Fuel line is yellow/white. Green/black is typically high beam. If, perhaps, it was black/green, that's usually CVR power.

Thats odd, the fuel sender wire on Midlife's wiring diagrams does not have a color for the 69 cars. I do remember mine being yellow with a white stripe.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess this brain tumor is F'n with more than I know *LOL*

A bunch of the Bay Area and Sacramento Area Mustanger guys came by today and helped me look at it. We, too, concluded from looking at my other wiring diagrams that fuel sender wire is yellow/white.

Thanks to Rob, too for the hook up on the electrical gauges. This is getting a little embarrassing, but I guess I'll make it through it.

Don't worry, John. It IS rocket science! Ask me how I know!

Back