• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Balloon Festival tour.....

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
On our way to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival.....first stop and one that someone here will recognize....Calico Ghosttown CA...evening and morning
SF 04Oct CalicoCA 1.JPGSF 04Oct CalicoCA 5.JPG

Last edited:
NICE !!! Enjoy the travel but next time you have to let me know in time to come along and pick me up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Those locations look familiar.....

Looking forward to more pictures from you travels. If you pass through Williams, pick me up a piece of pie!

No WiFi so no reporting while at the Balloon Fiesta

Arrival and our spot. Our area of rigs probably had 400 trailers and motorhomes

Our little spot.SF 4.JPG

Friday morning about 5:45 am.....had to be about 50,000 people there....that EARLY. Of course we just hopped on a shuttle and crossed the street. About 5 minutes from our trailer. Only about 200 were inflated this morning. Only a few did not fly. As the sun rose there were balloons all over the sky. Albuquerque is unique be it has a box wind shear. Low level has a southern flow and at altitude it goes north. So a few balloon pilots actually came back.
Friday morning was the Special Shape Rodeo at 6am....this is where all the balloons inflate and use their burners to show off the balloons colors at in the dark and then take off. Watching so many balloons in the air and then more inflating is overwhelming.
.SF 1.JPGSF 2.JPGSF 3.JPG

Last edited:
Friday night was to be a Glow for the special shaped balloons. Some did as expected then a storm approached with lightening and heavy rain. All were quickly deflated. Thousands of people were told to shelter from this 56 football field acreage. Yeah right. The rain came down big time. We got soaked and walked 2 miles back because we took a wrong turn while walking with many others. We were told it had rained and cancelled the activities the last 9 days.

Saturday morning again at 6am we went for the Morning Glow. Here all 600 balloons were to inflate and take off. The at 7am all were to take off. Again a weather situation cancelled it all. Crazy that thousands of people still show up and then nothing.

Saturday night was to be another Balloon Glow but again the weather. No inflations. But after dark they did offer up a very nice fireworks display and then an awesome drone show. Those are amazing.
SF 08Oct22 Albq BalloonFest DroneShow 4.JPGSF 08Oct22 Albq BalloonFest DroneShow 6.JPG

Sunday morning was to be the final Glow but the winds were too high. About 9am the winds died down and they started a Farewell Ascension. Only about 50 balloons came out for this. Some inflated but did not take-off.

SF 09Oct22 Albq BalloonFest FarewellAscension 6.JPGSF 09Oct22 Albq BalloonFest FarewellAscension 9.JPGSF 09Oct22 Albq BalloonFest FarewellAscension 26.JPGSF 09Oct22 Albq BalloonFest FarewellAscension 36.JPGSF 09Oct22 Albq BalloonFest FarewellAscension 45.JPG

I had no idea that hot air balloons came in so many shapes and sizes. Very cool to see all the different looks. Thanks for sharing Mike!

Tuesday we are taking a MV tour later so we decided to drive around a bit.
First visit to the scene from Forrest Gump. Lots of tourists.
SF 11Oct22 MonumentValley 2.JPG

Then on to Gooseneck State Park. Camping right along the edge. Looks like a spot Ken.
SF 11Oct22 MonumentValley 12 GooseneckStatePark.JPG
SF 11Oct22 MonumentValley 7 GooseneckStatePark.JPG

Attachments

• SF 11Oct22 MonumentValley 2.JPG
    SF 11Oct22 MonumentValley 2.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
Finally Stangfix is back up and running and we can continue our virtual vacation through Mike's pictures and narrative. It appears I have some more locations to add to my camping bucket list!

Back