• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bilstein shocks ft/lbs too high?

blu67

Installing the new rear Bilstein shocks on my car this week and the instructions said to torque the upper nut to 34 ft/lbs. It literally flattened the rubber bushings and we never met the torque specs and decided to back off and leave it for now. Any one have any idea what the actual spec is? Both instruction sheets said 34 ft./lbs........

Stock was like 25-30 ft/lbs. It's not that critical as long as it is tight and prevents the shock from moving around. You're good.

I questioned this too. And yes my torque wrench is calibrated. And yes the bushings are almost flat when torqued to that spec. My thought was, I guess it’s to allow the shock do it’s job without any additional give in the bushing. Who knows? Maybe the real experts.

Installing the new rear Bilstein shocks on my car this week and the instructions said to torque the upper nut to 34 ft/lbs. It literally flattened the rubber bushings and we never met the torque specs and decided to back off and leave it for now. Any one have any idea what the actual spec is? Both instruction sheets said 34 ft./lbs........
Try this, Use a 3/8 in. drive ratchet wrench or a short box end,While on a lift or hoist: Tighten the nuts"hand tight" until your bushings begin to compress and not rotate or move in the mounting. 35lbs sounds like a LOT of torque You can contact their customer service too.Good luck

Not sure how correct it is, but I've always tightened them till the rubber bush diameter matches the washer diameter.
Its probably nowhere near 34lbs though.

Back