• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brighter Headlights

Or....you could just go buy some Wagner BrightLight replacements;) I picked up some from work a couple months ago and I really like them. I can actually see my own headlights now, lol.

Strafury,

Not necessarily correct. The difference between conventional headlights (even the "bright" aftermarket ones) running through the stock wiring..... or through dedicated relays..... is like night and day. I wire the relays into my cars and it's a piece of cake and makes a world of difference.

I imagine it'll make a difference, especially on a worn-out wiring harness with high resistance, but it's a lot of effort, and I'm lazy:D I'll get around to it someday, though

it's a lot of effort

Nope, not at all really. It's one of the simpler things you can do on the car. Maybe a half hour job after you've read/understand the instructions.

From memory (a liitle foggy)....

Unplug the connections on the back of the existing bulbs.
Plug the new connections onto the headlights.
Cut the ground and high/low power feed wires from the old connector and connect these wires to the applicable wires on the new relay.
Mount the new relays somewhere that they're not going to be exposed to too much water/moisture (I put mine above the frame rail, but below the battery tray).
Connect the relay power wire to a constant 12v source (starter solenoid works great!)

There might be another ground in there somewhere, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah since I had my car apart, I figured I definately need relays in there.. I think I have about 8 now.. Headlights, horn, fan, and a slew of EFI ones. My only reserve is I believe I (accidently?) ran 16 guage wire from the relays to the headlights.. not sure if that is adequate..

Its not adequate if you are using halogen or greater headlights.

i did this on my 66 when i was rewiring the car. i got a little freaked out when it got dark and i turned on my lights and i could actually see the road!

I bought the harness from reenmachine and am using halogens on my Fairlane, and I will do the same for my Mustang. It works great. This is one of the best mods for older cars.

I made this modification on my car also. Major difference!!!

One thing I discovered after making this mod is when you hit the high beams. The first time you hit the floor switch the headlights go completely out for about 1-2 seconds, then the high beams come on. Only does it the first time you hit the switch, but it gave me quite a scare since I was going about 70 mph when I discovered this. Anyone else have this happen?

Dammit every time I visit this site, I have to get out my "Winter To Do" list for my car and find a pen so I can write more shit down.

It's an easy upgrade, but I do recommend upsizing you wiring from the relay(s) to the headlights. I just made all new #10 wiring harnesses. Color coded like the factory of course ;)

Back