• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brighter Headlights

"hivewax" said:
i never got around in doing this modification... scared of frying something! :headac

It's easy - really is, don't let it overwhelm you. Just fuse the feeds and don't work with the battery connected.

I used the Reen Machine relays and wiring and hid them below my battery tray.

relays1.JPG

relays2.JPG

The quality was great. http://www.reenmachine.com/shop/product.php?productid=16134&cat=259&bestseller=Y I didn't like the lamps and sold them to David67 which actually do look pretty good.

In the end I got Cibie lights from Daniel Stern. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/ He also sells everything needed to do the relays yourself. I bought that kit too and it was very nice!!!

The ReenMachine kit is well put together the wires are very long so I had to hide a bit of it but overall very happy and they work well. Love the H4 bulbs, lots of light!

"70_Fastback" said:
It's an easy upgrade, but I do recommend upsizing you wiring from the relay(s) to the headlights. I just made all new #10 wiring harnesses. Color coded like the factory of course ;)

Zombie time.

Hate to revive an old dead thread like this, but I thought better to do it this way in case some info comes to light that someone doing a search in the future might find helpful.

Just wanted to ask if you remember where you got your wiring. I've had a rough time finding anything other than single-color wiring and/or less than a spool at times.

"DougG69" said:
Zombie time.

Hate to revive an old dead thread like this, but I thought better to do it this way in case some info comes to light that someone doing a search in the future might find helpful.

Just wanted to ask if you remember where you got your wiring. I've had a rough time finding anything other than single-color wiring and/or less than a spool at times.

Orchard Supply Hardware here in CA, sells red, blue, green and black in smaller lengths.

The link gives a parts list, but the first two are discontinued. Part 330-079 at Parts Express is a waterproof relay that has strong reviews, so I'm picking up that one instead. As far as upgrading the wiring to 10AWG, does it matter that the power leads on the relay sockets are 14AWG? It's only a few inches, but maybe it's enough to cause problems? Or is there a 10 gauge relay socket that I can't find?

"hbar" said:
As far as upgrading the wiring to 10AWG, does it matter that the power leads on the relay sockets are 14AWG? It's only a few inches, but maybe it's enough to cause problems? Or is there a 10 gauge relay socket that I can't find?

I just bought some 10-12ga 1/4" female terminals with the little retaining tab/barb and used those, along with some 12ga wire, to replace the 14ga wiring that came with the socket. I also bought a male socket to plug into the old low-beam headlight socket to act as a trigger for the low/high beam relays so I wouldn't have to cut the old harness:

http://www.comagination.com/parts.htm

Back