• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Broken bumper bracket bolts in RS frame rail

You could drill a hole on the inside but I doubt you will have enough room to try and weld a nut in there

Why would nuts need to be welded inside the framerail? With holes drilled on the inside of the framerail to allow access, simply install a nut and washer onto the bolt and tighten. The internal nut doesn't "have to be" welded in place. It's technically not welded in place on factory installs... it's retained within the aforementioned "cage".

Dave's correct (like you needed me telling you that, right Dave?!), if you drill access holes for the nuts. Cosmetically though, you'll need to leave the holes open (or install removable plugs).

I said I'd get some pics up of my recent repair. Sorry, I fell asleep in the recliner after coming from working on the car last night! Here's a pic of the frame rail (inside), after cutting open, welding in the nuts, re-welding the removed sections and cleaning them up:

2107592420070710241S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's what they look like from the outside frame rail:

2682119020070710241S600x600Q85.jpg

From a cosmetic stand point, I prefer this method as it doesn't look like anything was done. I think it's a forgone conclusion, there's many ways to do the repair, you just need to figure out which you prefer.

"Midlife" said:
Why would I be kidding? The steel on all four sides was rusted through in places and it was easier to replace the front frame rail than to patch it.

I understand the repair you did on your car but your reply was that he think abut replacing the rail on HIS CAR...there is nothing I see that would warrant that type of repair...unless im missing something?

Look at the pics on Reply#7. The frame rail has some serious rust going on, on fairly thick metal. His bolt broke off on the interior, which he cannot see right now without cutting into it. The frame rail is one of the main structural pieces, and the bottom side is probably rusted worse of all of the sides. No pictures of the underside.

Would you like to have your Mustang held together by a frame rail that is known to be rusted, and then have a front-end accident? I know that I wouldn't.

I merely suggested that replacing the entire frame rail is an option worth considering. Patching scaly, rusty metal by welding to it is no fun.

Yes he could simply add a nut and a washer, but he will sill have a rotten twisted bracket to contend with. Like I said in the beginning make 3 cuts bend it down and weld the nuts on the back side like Ford should have done in the first place. Rich.

Hmmm. I think I recognize that grinder on the floor! One of the best tools the wife has ever bought me as a present! Mine been earning it's keep around here!!

Abe, the frame rail looks to be in pretty good shape. Make sure you check the pitted area really good. Don't be wimpy with it, but poke it. If you don't, you may regret it down the road. Better to repair it now then later. While I was doing mine I found some areas that were pitted, but due to the thickness of the metal, thought it'd be fine. It wasn't! It was just one more thing to fix, but I'd rather do it now! BTW, it's done now too!

"Ponyman66" said:
Hmmm. I think I recognize that grinder on the floor! One of the best tools the wife has ever bought me as a present! Mine been earning it's keep around here!!

Abe, the frame rail looks to be in pretty good shape. Make sure you check the pitted area really good. Don't be wimpy with it, but poke it. If you don't, you may regret it down the road. Better to repair it now then later. While I was doing mine I found some areas that were pitted, but due to the thickness of the metal, thought it'd be fine. It wasn't! It was just one more thing to fix, but I'd rather do it now! BTW, it's done now too!

Gotta love a wife like that, congratulations sir.

I bought two of them plus my Dewalt, I have the wire wheel on one, the cut off wheel on the Dewalt and the sanding discs with the rubber backer on the other one so I don't have to be switching stuff up all the time.

I decided to remove a section of the outer frame rail. Are you ready? :bomb :char :hide :roul :wtf :censored :no :wth :skul :roul

IMG_3501.jpg

NASTYNESS

IMG_3505.jpg

Cleaned it up a bit scrapping around a little with a putty knife.

IMG_3508.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

These bolts were most definitely not going to be coming out.
IMG_3513-1.jpg

The plan from this point is to try and get in there with a grinder or something to try and clean it up a bit and then purchase one of those wand sprayer things to coat the entire interior of the frame rail with zero rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back