• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Building a T5 crossmember for a '67/68 Mustang

phlegm

I have no need for a T5 crossmember. But I hope to someday.. so again this is an untested part..

A long, long time ago (probably round 2001/2002) I helped a kid named Travis in Ft Collins CO with a '65 Mustang issue, in exchange he provided me the following measurements for a T5 crossmember that he was getting ready to install.
1500-150313105655-109062434.jpeg

Years past, my hairline receeded, I cut off my pony tail. And then one day I found another guy on a different forum that liked doing CAD work. I sent him the measurements and told him I'd like it to look like this one.
This one says RMP on it, I haven't looked up who that might be, I had randomly googled it for a reference picture..
1500-150313100630-108961605.jpeg

So my co-conspirator took some creative liberty and made me this drawing. Completely bolt together, with only (2) 90

i've made a few patterned off of the original c-4 crossmember but with the different offsets to fit the t5. they arent hard to make.

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

that's a nice looking mount!
What's weird is that I thought I attached the finished pictures..and a lot more text...

His drawings for me
1500-150313100631-108971503.jpeg

I had him separate them out into just 2 different files so they could be nested for cutting easier
Finished product,
1500-150313100636-10898160.jpeg

1500-150313100659-10902459.jpeg

The top side of the metal where the cut was initiated looks a lot better than the backside/bottom where it has a lot of cutting slag on it..
1500-150313100648-109002351.jpeg

What I really need for now is one for an AOD, they appear to be similar in drop to a T5, but the mount plate is farther back.. And I need a C6 crossmember for my ex-step-brother... (all for a '67 or '68)

Last edited by a moderator:
i made patterns for the AOD ron morris mount from one jonk67 bought. when time permits, i'll modify it a bit for better exhaust clearance & strength it a bit then build a prototype.

"tarafied1" said:
cool stuff. I'll be putting a T5 in my 65, I'll be calling you Steve!
Steve must be that other guy? (my name is Ron)

The crossmember I built would fit and mount a T5 in your '65, but you'd lose the e-brake pivot point that is hanging off the back of the transmission mount. I will eventually build one, but I don't know if my '66 parts car has a stock crossmember or what measurements to make one..

"tarafied1" said:
Yes Ron, Steve is the "other" guy. He lives close by to me so I would bug him first! :yah

Fortunately... I've got one of Steve's sitting here... very nice piece. I wish I could weld as good as him.

Bill

FWIW, I designed mine to be bolt together because like the rest of you (except that other guy) I can't weld either, mostly because I don't own a welder :shrug. Eons ago (1991/1992) I took vocational autobody class and he forced us to do both MIG and ACE/OXY. I can still chase a puddle pretty decently with gas, but my MIG always looked like poo..

Last time I needed any welding was for my roller spring perches and my cracked shock tower. I had the neighbor come over and do that for me. He is a competent welder with a large 200amp MIG..

"67 Fastback" said:
Fortunately... I've got one of Steve's sitting here... very nice piece. I wish I could weld as good as him.

Bill

I have one as well. It's in a running and driving car. :bowdown

I believe it was his first one to hit the street. Been in 3 years or so by now. I also have some other goodies he made.

"Sluggo" said:
I have one as well. It's in a running and driving car. :bowdown

I believe it was his first one to hit the street. Been in 3 years or so by now. I also have some other goodies he made.

:nut

Bill

Back