• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Bump Steer eliminator kit?

tarafied1

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/baer-tracker-bump-steer-kit-1965-1966/
so I have this 65 Mustang 6 cylinder car. I will be putting in a 94 5.0 and T5. I have already swapped the rear axle. I got with the car some complete Granada spindles, calipers, rotors, etc. etc.. I also have a complete grab-a-track front suspension kit and a 65 V8 drag link. It's manual steering car. I have heard many testify that the geometry of the spindles causes some funky issues. Does any body know if the bump steer eliminator kit will "solve" the problem? This car will be a track only car (Drag racing). I want it to be stable at speed.
I have Granada setup on my 67 and it has no issues but I understand the 65/66 is different65 Coupe white.jpg story.

I wouldn't spend the money till you KNOW you need it. With the right alignment settings, it may go straight as is.

both good points! If I carry the front wheels I should be good! And that was kind of my plan Mark but I have to buy outer tie rod ends anyway. The Granada spindles have a different taper than the 65/66. But I am sure I can get stock replacement stuff pretty cheap or cheaper any way.

thanks! I will actually though. The 6 cylinder tie rod ends are also different than the V8 tie rod ends. I do have the V8 drag link but I will have to get inner and outer tie rod ends for the V8 setup. I have the V8 pitman arm and idler though.

If you remember he had the 65 that he ran with stock shock towers for years then swapped to 67 towers.

If you remember he had the 65 that he ran with stock shock towers for years then swapped to 67 towers.
yes, I had several exchanges with him. He saw my post where I put the 68 front clip on a 65 and had a few questions. Then he did a very professional job!

I wouldn't get too hung up on the front suspension other than installing drag springs and insuring the control arms move freely. You want that front to raise easily for quick weight transfer. You need to be much more concerned about the rear set-up. You need to not only get it planted but planted squarely and equally to keep this straight on launch. Best money spent here would be a set of Caltracs. They will be all you need. The front steering will take care of itself. I'm pretty sure you will have both hands on the wheel at the top end to keep her straight.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the front suspension other than installing drag springs and insuring the control arms move freely. You want that front to raise easily for quick weight transfer. You need to be much more concerned about the rear set-up. You need to not only get it planted but planted squarely and equally to keep this straight on launch. Best money spent here would be a set of Caltracs. They will be all you need. The front steering will take care of itself. I'm pretty sure you will have both hands on the wheel at the top end to keep her straight.
I am planning on Caltracs. I have run my 67 enough to know that I want it to be stable at high speed. The track (Beach Bend) is pretty smooth. I have just heard stories about the weird handling of pre-67's with Granada spindles. In fact even our own BobV had some experience with it. IIRC he had a weird effect when the car was accelerating the nose would come up and then it wouldn't go back down. Something weird with the toe changing. Then braking caused some weird issues when the nose was bound up.
My 67 is doing 100 mph at the end of the quarter and feels safe. I plan to have this thing rolling a lot more!

Back