• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Buying an AR-15 UPDATED

monkeystash

I'm going to buy an AR-15, as I see the writing on the wall. I have plenty of handgun experience, but fall a bit short in the rifle department. There is a huge wait for anything labeled "assault weapon," but fortunately I have a colleague who owns a gun store. He thinks weeks instead of months. Anyway, back to topic. Duane, Brian, Dave, Sluggo, Rick, etc; any of you guys have an AR or experience with one? I'm looking at about the $1000 price range, and my first choice is a CMMG, M4A3 style. I think I'd also buy a RRA, S&W, Bushmaster, Sabre, maybe a DPMS. What do you guys have and recommend? I have read most the reviews and done a ton of internet research, including AR15.com. :guns

Re: Buying an AR-15

I'd get the model that you can carry it on the plane w/you... :boo

"Midlife" said:
I'd get the model that you can carry it on the plane w/you... :boo

Actually Mid, we can do that now (just not with an AR.) 1 week of training in New Mexico and the TSA gives you a H&K and a badge, and calls you a Federal Flight Deck Officer. I'll get around to it one day.

DPMS is a good product and probably the more reasonably priced of the bunch.

I cobbled mine together from parts. Bushmaster pre-ban A1 carbine upper, dpms post ban lower and trigger kit, surplus stock, rock river arms bolt, carrier and latch.
And some other goodies. Green laser, light, forward grip with storage, bipod, illuminated scope, etc Real handy for hunting varmints.

1_07_08_08_10_32_36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

"monkeystash" said:
Damn Sluggo, that is sweeeeeeet! Is that a 11.5" barrel?

Yep. The 5.5 inch muzzle brake makes it legal. :2guns

Real handy for hunting varmints.

1_07_08_08_10_32_36.jpg

And I suppose the bayonet is for picking them up off the ground after you've shot them?

If I were going to go with an AR-15, I would go with a Bushmaster or S&W. I have several friends with both who absolutely love them. I decided to go another route:

23_11_03_09_6_23_19.JPG

A Romanian made AK-47. There were several reasons I went with this over an AR. There is a reason that this weapon is the choice of many of our enemies. It is a beast. You can literally open up the top, pour in a handful of sand, close it up, and keep on firing. In my experience, AR's are well built, but finicky. They like to be super clean. Not to say I don't keep my AK clean. While I went with the traditional wood stock on mine, they are readily available in synthetic stocks that give them a completely different look. You can even purchase kits that convert them to a bull-pup look if that's something you're into. There are tons of mods and accessories available for this weapon. For minimal money, my AK could look just like Sluggo's AR. I have been looking accesories, but haven't made up my mind on what I want to do with it yet. Not a real need for it right now as I can throw 30 rds down range in 7 seconds or less (single action), and the stock sights are good up to 100 yards. Finally, I bought my AK for much less than $1000. I could outfit it 10 ways from Sunday with stuff and still not have $1000 in it.

Ultimately, its like your underwear, up to you. Just another option. Happy hunting! :guns

"Sluggo" said:
DPMS is a good product and probably the more reasonably priced of the bunch.

I cobbled mine together from parts. Bushmaster pre-ban A1 carbine upper, dpms post ban lower and trigger kit, surplus stock, rock river arms bolt, carrier and latch.
And some other goodies. Green laser, light, forward grip with storage, bipod, illuminated scope, etc Real handy for hunting varmints.

1_07_08_08_10_32_36.jpg

Bring that thing up with you this weekend, i got a squirrel problem....

Ryan, I've got a DPMS AR and a Romanian AK just like Brian's. The AK is a beast, is cheaper and just as fun to rattle off ridiculous ammo. Not as "trickable" as an AR though. Prices for ammo on both is comparable. I was looking at the SW, RRA, DPMS, BM, and Colt. Colt was serious $$$. The DPMS was the better buy for the dollar IMO when buying a complete gun. There are different configs for each gun but make sure to check the top rail/carry handle for a removeable handle. I know the BM I looked at didn't have the top rail. You can still trick it out (look at Sluggos) but I just wanted the option of removing the handle. Like I said, different configs for each but I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them. A buddy of mine on the force has a RRA and loves it. IMO, all are good and you won't go wrong. The problem is not buying the gun, the problem is paying twice the gun to "accessorize". Just like building a Mustang. Sluggo has a sweet piece and since mine is plain compared to his, there's no real reason to snap a pic. As Brian said also, AKs are much cheaper although their price is coming up with the potential ban. I don't know why, but I'll pull the AK out before the AR when I'm wanting to release some "lead steam". It's your money, your gun, your choice. You won't go wrong either way. Just make sure to pick up some extra 30 rd mags. Cheaperthandirt.com still has some good prices. High cap magazines are gonna be worth gold money when all bills are signed. (They've got a 90 rd drum for $150 if that tickles your tummy)

Thanks for the info guys. Brian, you carry that AK on patrol, lol? It is sweet, love the wood parts. Duane, you aren't kidding about accessorizing these things; there is no end to it! I've never seen so many options. I really wanted a Sig556, but the budget won't allow that, as it's easy double the AR's cost. I'll update y'all when it comes home. Thanks again!

It won't take long to figure out I am not a gun guy but what the hell do you do with a gun like that? :hmm

"68EFIvert" said:
It won't take long to figure out I am not a gun guy but what the hell do you do with a gun like that? :hmm

Apparently you haven't been listening to the TV news or reading the newspaper. That guy down in Alabama used his to kill 10 people. I own several guns, including a 357 magnum handgun. I own a shotgun because I used to bird hunt some, but not too much these days. I was awarded a marksman medal back in high school ROTC and I still like to target practice with my 22 semi auto rifle, although my eyesight ain't what it used to be so watch out. I believe in the second Amendment (and all the rest of' em for that matter) but I don't see why a person would need a gun built strictly for offensive purposes, unless they are in the military or the police. However, I do believe we have the right to protect ourselves, our loved ones and our property and those fully automatic guns would certainly come in handy if you needed to do that, or you decided to invade and overtake a small country. I'll just stick with my 12 gauge pump loaded with 00 buck for close range protection at home and my hand cannon for on the road. Without getting too political, check this out;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675&p

I hope I did that right, if not check it out anyway and you will know how I feel about the Second Amendment.

68EFIvert, guns are no different than Mustangs. It's a hobby where you make friends at the range or online, no different than a car show or Stangfix. As for your question, how about a gun guy asking you, "what the hell do you do with all that horsepower?"

shbrandt, please, let's not turn this thread into anything except recommendations and opinions on AR-15s. Thank you.

Yep, it's just a hobby. Exactly like the horsepower example above. I think 68 and SH were just curious and meant nothing by it. I will elaborate though. The AR as it stands, without a mag, really has nothing over a semi .223, 30.06, .243, .22, etc. It's the look of the gun that freaks people out and the mag that goes with it. If I put a 30 rd mag on my semi (hunter looking) 30.06, would there be a different "perception" of the two? Probably because the AR looks "assault" vs the 06 looking "hunterish". An AWB is gonna affect more than "assault looking weapons". It's gonna affect any high cap mag and any semi-automatic rifle and pistol that accepts high cap mags. This means your glock, 10-22, AR and so on. My AR and AK are like turbos or an sc on a car. Don't need it, hardly every really use it, but it sure is fun to play with. Oh yeah, they're also investments...seriously.

When I was in military school (1967-1970) we marched with M-1 carbines on our shoulders. They weighed 9.5 pounds without the bayonet. In case you don't know, an M-1 is a 30 caliber, gas operated, shoulder weapon SIR!! They are semi automatic, unless you filed down the sear pin located in the trigger housing then you could get a fully automatic 30 caliber weapon, but the clip only held nine round (if I remember correctly, it's been over 40 years ago). The breach (bolt) is spring loaded and you had to put your thumb down in the loading chamber and press on the clip spring in order to release and close the bolt. You had to get your thumb out quickly or the bolt would slam shut and you would damn near lose your thumb. I can't tell you how many M-1 thumbs I saw during that period. At any rate we didn't get to shoot those weapons on the range or anywhere else. We only got to shoot 22 caliber single shots rifles for training purposes. I don't think the M-1 was very accurate and they are heavy as hell, but I wish I could find one of those just for old time sake.

I believe the second amendment allows an individual the right to own a gun.

That said I also believe that a person should have to prove he is stable enough to own a gun.

The idiots that wig out and go on killing sprees are not responsible gun owners. Their mental state
sure as hell is not determined by what kind of gun they own. They were probably fuc^&d in the head
long before the got a hold of a gun.

I own a de-militarized G-3 also. Does that make me a nut?

"daveSanborn" said:
1_07_08_08_10_32_36.jpg

And I suppose the bayonet is for picking them up off the ground after you've shot them?
The bayonet is for close quarters combat silly. Like when you get ambushed by a badger or muskrat.
It can also be removed from the rifle and used to carve up your dinner.

Back