• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

C-4 swap to T-5z closer to becoming a reality...least expensive option?

You need to also stalk all the mustang/car sites that have used parts forums. I just took a minute to go the VMF and look at the postings over there. Someone just sold off a complete MDL hydraulic clutch set-up for a bargain price. I also saw a new clutch set-up that would be fine for a basic SBF for cheap as well. Early bird catches those worms!

Another thing to keep in mind is the bellhousing you will need. Study up on identifying those too. Most times the advertised trans isn't selling with one. Fair market price on a good original 5.0 unit is in the $100 neighborhood. You might do better but that isn't a bad price.

Scored a used T-5 today. based on the tag, 13-52-169, it appears to be off an '89 5.0. seller says it was smooth shifting when it was pulled. without doing a complete rebuild, what should i change out first? there's a shifter, too, but i think i'll swap that for a short throw assy while its out of the car. now to compile the rest of the conversion list parts. :)

Pop the top and take a good look at things on the inside. Make sure to look at all the teeth on all the gears. Ideally you should disassemble it so you can check/replace the wear items and bearings. There are lots of good DIY rebuild instructions available and the kits are pretty cheap. Do it now and you will feel better about ti down the road.

Back