• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Center Console is finally done.

samsmustang

I finally finished my center console. It's made of wood, fiberglass bondo, and 1/2" aluminium "C" channel from hardware store. I took apart some OEM plastic console and incorporated into the wood pieces with bondo. Lots of sanding and paint.

It looks like you're all set to for power windows!!

I've also moved my e-brake to the center hump, and was working on modifying a stock console to fit.
console7.jpg

But I like what you've done with the arm rest. What did you use at the front of the arm rest to hide the e-brake mechanism -- What car is that out of?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link. Nice work, lots of fabrication, wiring, etc. very tasteful way to incorporate all those mods too.
But I like what you've done with the arm rest. What did you use at the front of the arm rest to hide the e-brake mechanism -- What car is that out of?
looks like he hand made it!
IMG_0659.JPG

After fiberglassing, sanding and primer. Center console pieces from a Mazada 323 was molded into the the panel. The switch panel is out of a 88 Tbird.

The rubber covering the hand brake hole is a section from a Mazada 323 (90s?) center console. I cut out the platic section around the rubber and used a router to cut away about 1/8" of wood on the panel to match. I then epoxy the plastic part firmly on the wood after removing the rubber so it doesn't get damaged. Just make sure the plastic part is not higher than the wood. The plastic doesn't sand well. I used fiberglass Bondo to level everything out and after it's painted, put the rubber piece back. I did the same with the button/switch section. I found a section from a Ford T-bird (88's) that control the power seat and cut out the section I need and blended into the console. The hardest part is the sanding, but if you use textured paint, you'll save a lot of time. The arm rest part was from another car that I modified. As you can see, I got whole bunch of stuff from the junkyard. Not only the parts are cheap, the OEM quality can't be beat. It just take time and imagination. BTW, the clock above the two gauges was from a Honda Accord.

Back