• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

clock help?

lethal289

My wife has an alarm clock that is very sentimental to her. She's used it since she was a kid. The other day, the clock stopped working. When she opened it to replace the batteries, they leaked all over the inside. We scrapped everything out that we could, put new batteries in, and it still doesn't work. Any ideas on how i can carefully clean it further? Are there any products to use? Thanks!

clock help?

Try electrical contact cleaner spray. When this happens in electrical watches, i use this thing i bought at an office supply store that is like a marksalot but it has a solvent in it. It is made for removing permanent marker from dry erase marker boards. The idea is to remove the stuff that leaked out, zinc/manganese salts and the electrolite (potassium hydroxide) alkaline residue from the battery contacts, as these leave thin deposits that act to increase resistance. If contact cleaner does not work, try 50/50 water and white vinegar on a q-tip. You can also use a sensitive low range multimeter to check the contacts past the battery holder to see if the voltage is making it to the circuit board. If voltage is making it to the board and it s not working, you have fried the board and you are sunk. Pm me if you get stuck.

Back