• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clone value - Original vs Dynacorn

clone of Little Red
82432d1257087105-1967-mustang-coupe-conversion-kits-ch1007-60234_8.jpg

They did make 69/70 convertible Shelbys, but not boss or Mach 1s. Of course they were really not Shelby by then.

Personally I'm ok with clones if the real car was made, but boss stripes on a convertible looks terrible. as well as when people put fatback spoilers on convertibles. It just looks awkward.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Everybody is pointing to the California Special as a "Shelby" coupe. Besides the tail light panel, what else was "Shelby". No Shelby engine or suspension. The California Special and the High Country Special were just marketing ploys by Ford in 1968 that lasted one whole year. Note that the car was so successful that there were no 1969 models. I think a well restored California Special is a great looking car, but it aint no Shelby.

nobody said the California Special was a Shelby. All was said was that it had the rear lights, trunk etc. It was a result of the two prototype Shelby coupes and yes was a marketing strategy. And yeah they didn't make any sprints or other special models either after 68. But there were Shelby coupes in 67 and 69 also, in Mexico. And we get it, you don't like 'em. No problem. I think the 69 Shelby coupe is pretty ugly myself...
image002.jpg

Last edited:
The issue I think was about clones and some not liking cars being cloned that didn't exist. There were Shelby coupes so if someone clones a 67 or 69 Shelby coupe or a clone of the Green Hornet (68 Shelby coupe) then they are cloning cars that existed. Now I agree many so called clones are nothing more than some stripes and Shelby badges. Even on Fastback Mustangs. But people might like that part or can only afford a few mods and that part is easy. I don't know why people do what they do but I for one like some of the cars I've seen that incorporate features of the Shelby or Boss or Mach 1's or GTs or whatever. As long as they don't try to pass them off as the real deal. I have a lot of Shelby features on my 67 coupe. I am always surprised when some people ask me if it is a real Shelby. It doesn't say Shelby on it anywhere. It Does have the gas cap for a GT500KR which has the snake and says Cobra Jet (doesn't say Shelby). But I always tell people what it is. I didn't build it to get approval and if some don't like it that's fine. I am always amazed at how many people love it however. I can't get gas without letting people take pics or open the hood or just answer questions. It gets thumbs up and photographed all the time. So I must admit it feels good when others like it but again that's not why I built it. So I get that some don't like coupes, I get that some don't like red coupes, I get that some don't like torque thrust wheels on red coupes, I get that some don't like "Eleanor" Mustangs or coupes that look like an "Eleanor" and I get that some don't like Mustang II's or 71-73's or Foxbodys or whatever. That's the beauty of a car that's been in production over 50 years. There are lots of different Mustangs and lots of ways to customize them.

the california special was developed by the shelby american division of ford motor company, remember that ford bought shelby in 67 and moved production to detroit.

the california special was developed by the shelby american division of ford motor company, remember that ford bought shelby in 67 and moved production to detroit.
but to ragtops concern, it wasn't marketed as a Shelby. So I don't think anyone is saying it is a Shelby. But there were actual Shelby coupes sold as Shelbys with Shelby drivetrains, suspension and so on. They were in Mexico but still full on Shelby coupes with all the fiberglass front and rear and stripes and the whole works. The Shelby coupes that raced Trans Am in the US were Shelby's without the bodywork of a Shelby but still Shelbys.
54df81bc5a22fe698f12e8ea7601ac78.jpg

ShelbytransAmmustang_01_2000.jpg

Shelby de Mexico
From the Shelby American World Registry

The 1967 and 1968 Shelby de Mexico production models used 289 engines while the 1969 models were powered by the 302 V8. The 1967 and 1968 models received all of the 1967 Shelby-unique parts – fiberglass nose and hood, rear spoiler and taillights as well as cast aluminum 10-spoke wheels, sintered metallic brake linings, Koni shock absorbers, a larger front anti-sway bar, export brace and Monte Carlo bar, under-ride traction bars and cast aluminum “Cobra” valve covers, intake manifold and oil pan. When Carroll Shelby sold the “Cobra” name to Ford, one of the stipulations was that he was not allowed to sell any parts carrying the “Cobra” name in the United States. He was, however, able to sell these parts outside of the U.S. and he sold a great deal of them in Mexico through the Shelby de Mexico program.

The 1969 Shelby de Mexico model was, again, based on the Mustang notchback. The front was stock but a fiberglass section was added to the rear of the roofline, which curved back and down to meet with the rear fenders. The entire roof was covered with vinyl and this one change completely transformed the car’s silhouette and roofline. At the rear, 1969 Shelby taillights, rear panel and spoiler were used. Tape “GT350” side stripes were used on all cars. Shelby de Mexico models were built in six colors: Red, White, Black, Gold, Emerald Green and Acapulco Blue. Interior and vinyl roof colors were black or white. Shelby de Mexico production continued through 1972 with the building of approximately 200 Mustang “GT351” models and approximately 300 Shelby Mavericks. Both models carried Shelby emblems, Shelby aftermarket wheels and Shelby aluminum engine pieces. Both had rear window louvers, and front and rear spoilers. Additionally, the Maverick had a hood-mounted tachometer and a Boss 429-style hood scoop. No Shelby de Mexico cars were ever brought into the United States until 1986.

It is getting almost impossible to register a kit car in Ontario.

Then, if you do get it registered, it is getting very hard to insure it.

For both of those reasons around here a kit car is a nonstarter.

Back