• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Computer Question?

Is it better to build a computer, or buy one in a box?

• Build it!

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Buy it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Step up to the PC3 4gb ram and put a killer nvidia graphics card in it.

And a 1TB sata HD.

Is Pc3 worth the extra money? I'd have to upgrade motherboards from that one to this one http://www.smksuperstore.com/products/Option.aspx?id=51050 to be able to accomidate DDR3. Am i correct sluggo?

I should also mention that i want a system that i can upgrade in the future, and not be outdated right away. I also dont do much gaming anymore, so thats not real important to me.

If you're done gaming I'd not worry about it unless you are heavy into video/photo editing, or deal with huge graphic files.

Looks good so far. What flavor windows are you going to run? Only asking since any 32 bit OS can't see over 4 gb of memory.

Oh and I'm in the same process as you in building the next pc. My amd 3200xp machine has seen better days...
Here's my specs:
Asus m3n72-d MB
AMD Phenom x4 9600 2.3ghz
4gb pc8500 1066mhz
770w ps
3 250gb sata, running raid 5
geforce gtx 260 896mb sli....upgrading to 2 later on.
Coolermaster haf932 case.

"Jamie aka Bondo_68" said:
Looks good so far. What flavor windows are you going to run? Only asking since any 32 bit OS can't see over 4 gb of memory.

Because i already have it, im going to use a complete version of windows vista Ultimate which says its good for 32 or 64 bit. SWMBO picked it up cheap when the local Circuit City was going out of buisness. And i didnt want to use it on my current PC.

Also, any place recommended to buy the components from? I've used pricewatch.com to find decent deals in the past.

"Sluggo" said:
If you're done gaming I'd not worry about it unless you are heavy into video/photo editing, or deal with huge graphic files.

:wtf Wow, i almost missed that. Wierd placement for a responce :yikes

I do quite a bit of photo editing and some minor video stuff. But nothing extreme.

"lethal289" said:
Also, any place recommended to buy the components from? I've used pricewatch.com to find decent deals in the past.

I use Directron.com. They are pretty competitive, and local so I can go pick it up.

I watch Fry's for deals on ram and hard drives, sometimes vid cards. you have to be real careful with their package deals on mboards and cpus. I got my current home rig there Athalon 6400 cpu, bought it when they were still fairly new for 129.00 with motherboard. Threw the mboard in the garbage and bought a gigabyte mb.

"lethal289" said:
:wtf Wow, i almost missed that. Wierd placement for a responce :yikes

I do quite a bit of photo editing and some minor video stuff. But nothing extreme.

Yeah. Looks like I typed it inside the quotes. What a dumb ass :dumas

I use directron.com and tigerdirect.com. Never had a problem that they couldn't take care of. I've used both for years and this will be my 5th pc to build from them.

I thought about waiting until Oct for Windows 7, but MS is being incredibly stupid and charging well over $300 for ultimate. So once it goes on sale, the price for vista should drop.

we got vista ultimate for 160 with service pack 1. Half off the 319.99 original price. I lucked out on that one and it was back in february.

Back