• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cool New Tool Thread

I have been wanting to get a die grinder. Almost got one but couldn't find the attachments at the store to actually use it.
Die grinder? if you truly mean a die grinder you'd be foolish to buy anything other than the cheap one at HF. $12 is stupid cheap. I've beat on it for years and it just keeps going.
I have both straight and the 90 degree varieties of their Central brand. I recently just splurged and bought one of their new CHIEF brand ones to see if really does only use about half the CFM. It's also smaller so I can fit in tighter spots with it. So far I like it.

The right angle style die grinder. Like this one (with the too high price on it at the moment) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...kKngsEnshfIBzy1T41caAnbbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds With my tinnitus I've grown pretty leery of screaming air tools, they seem to aggravate it.
I bought one from Harbor Freight, didn't make it a month before it self-destructed. Really. Replaced it with an Ingersoll which has proven quite durable but screams. Yes, yes, ear plugs, I know. I have found you can buy like the cheapest straight style there is and probably can't kill it but I REALLY prefer the pistol configuration and am vested in accessories that seem to work better with that grip. I actually have the straight Milwaukee M12 1/8" one and it's pretty good. Basically a largish Dremel. Also a Snap On "polisher: that would be great except they made it with a proprietary threaded "chuck" instead of a standard 1/4". Works great with Rolocs but that's about it for that one.

I found this beauty on Craigslist the other.

I'm told I need to cut my carbon footprint. So...

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
4046dc336ceecec16db62393ccb2f406.jpg

The right angle style die grinder. Like this one (with the too high price on it at the moment) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...kKngsEnshfIBzy1T41caAnbbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds With my tinnitus I've grown pretty leery of screaming air tools, they seem to aggravate it.
I bought one from Harbor Freight, didn't make it a month before it self-destructed. Really. Replaced it with an Ingersoll which has proven quite durable but screams. Yes, yes, ear plugs, I know. I have found you can buy like the cheapest straight style there is and probably can't kill it but I REALLY prefer the pistol configuration and am vested in accessories that seem to work better with that grip. I actually have the straight Milwaukee M12 1/8" one and it's pretty good. Basically a largish Dremel. Also a Snap On "polisher: that would be great except they made it with a proprietary threaded "chuck" instead of a standard 1/4". Works great with Rolocs but that's about it for that one.
I've found with lots of the HF stuff it can be hit or miss. On the exact same tool. At under $15 (take your choice straight or angled) you can roll the dice a number of times before you get to the cost of a big name brand. I'm not a fan of supporting the Chinese at all but if I can buy a tool that lasts me years of near constant use for an 8th or less the cost of something name brand (also made in China) I know which way I go. Then again, I'm a big Dewalt fan so I may be twisted anyway!

I've probably got a good 10-12 hours of actual use time (tool spinning) on the new CHIEF one now and I'm liking it so far. It does use much less air. Of course, compared to the really old HF piece its not that surprising.

I try to get the Dewalt line that's made in US (with global materials) plus I already have the batteries to match.

Air tools are basically a novelty for me. Im trying to switch everything to battery that i can (reasonably).

If you have a good air system, air tools are great. Battery stuff just can't keep up under constant use. The odd task here or there is where I think they shine. I'm in the market for a battery cut-off tool now. I need to go cut a roof off an old car in a junkyard to use for the Model A this winter. Open to suggestions

Batteries definitely aren't ideal for constant use, like grinding. But I have a good handful of these batteries now since all the tools interchange. Get your self one of them multi battery charging stations and you can have near limitless use.

Ummm, you guys would have to define "constant use" a bit more narrowly I think. I'm beating on battery tools five days a week. So is every pro mechanic I've seen lately and most construction workers. I have Li-po and NiMH batteries in daily use tools that are over eight years old and still going strong. I had my doubts about buying a battery powered angle grinder because sometimes I use one of those hours at a time. But the one I have is holding up to that sort of thing just fine and uses surprisingly few batteries doing it. As opposed to the chainsaw I have. About 20 minutes of cutting and the biggest battery available for it (12ah) is gone. A 5ah battery hardly lasts in it long enough to bother with.
With extended use an M12 soldering iron will eat through some batteries. I once used one so much repairing a damaged vehicle wiring harness that took hours to solder up that I thought I melted the end of the iron's housing a bit. Turned out it was a design fault that was rectified with the new design. Which will happily solder as long as I want to keep feeding it batteries.

In general I don't mind battery swapping as I am well supplied with batteries. I figure when a battery needs changing is also a good time for me to refocus with a little break anyway. But my satisfaction is very dependent on the fact that I have batteries and chargers close at hand when I am working. Out in the field away from civilization different priorities might apply. Like wanting to have a gas chainsaw, for sure.

For me constant would be a solid 3-4 hours of straight tool use. Grinder, DA that kind of tool. Especially with the grinder or cut-off wheel, I have found that when using a battery tool the torque (performance) declines the longer it is used as the battery power drops off. With an air tool you never have that experience. If I'm in my garage with electricity and air available I always go there instead of battery. Could be I am behind and set in my ways but hey, that's where I'm at!

I love the 20 volt series Dewalt has. Like GypsyE, I have a ton of batteries now to cycle through. I even have a battery powered chopsaw and lawnmower.

I know alot of people like the Milwaukee brand stuff as well, I hear good things. But once you invest in a line/brand it's tough to swap since you'll need to buy everything all over.

My admittedly dilapidated 120V weedeater about bit it. Still worked (wife ran over in the driveway years ago) but part of the line guard broke off AND the blade that made it self trimming. So one last trip around the yard with it and a pair of snips for the line and I popped for the spendier Milwaukee trimmer. Bit on the long and heavy side compared to what I'm used to but it works quite well. Wife came out to watch me use it and said "Playing with your new toy"" To which I replied "If it's a damn toy how come this sh1t isn't fun?" She about-faced and went back in the house. I do NOT enjoy weedeating. Not that big on yardwork in general.

She said she'd weedeat if it wasn't too heavy. It is. My comment about observing my boss's 10 year old son weedeating the heck out of the shop area with no apparent issues didn't fly too well either. No big deal, just another day. If I wanted to actually make her mad I would pull out my go-to phrase: "If you want to bad enough, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find excuses."

I think I could maybe use one of those shoulder straps for this thing. My lot isn't all that big really but it did wear me down a little.
At some point I plan on getting the hedge trimmer attachment. Even though I'm pretty sure my 120v one will never die. Except for getting the cord cut in two every so often it's kind of bullet proof.

This one, if the link works. I wanted another charger ans one of mine died. Plus I hadn't had a 8.0 battery before and was interested in that. It took all of it to do my 3.4 acre to my satisfaction, so that worked out.

Just in time too. The damn Guberment has its sights set on our two stroke garden equipment now. Right behind our stoves and dishwashers. I love my gas powered line trimmer. They'll have to pry that from my cold dead fingers on day, too. :p

Nice weedwacker, I have a dewalt 20v version. Doesn't seem to be too heavy, but I've never looked at the Milwaukee ine for decent reference.

Got a battery powered mower too. Came with two 10mah batteries! Works great.

GypsyR:
Your problem is that you have grass and weeds that require trimming. You need to move to an area that doesn't have that, like the desert. Problem solved.

Saw a headline somewhere about them issuing new standards to dramatically cut the amount of water a new dishwasher can use per cycle. Right behind targeting natural gas usage in homes (stoves).
Yes they want to limit the flush in our toilets so we end up flushing twice, and God forbid that the dishwasher can use enough water to get the dishes clean, or we can use enough fuel to heat our food and house... and then there is all this carbon emissions crap. It wouldn't be so bad if we actually had viable batteries and the charging infrastructure before the Banana Republics like California mandate their use. Environmentalism has turned into a religion for the left. Rant over, have a nice day ;)

Yes they want to limit the flush in our toilets so we end up flushing twice, and God forbid that the dishwasher can use enough water to get the dishes clean, or we can use enough fuel to heat our food and house... and then there is all this carbon emissions crap. It wouldn't be so bad if we actually had viable batteries and the charging infrastructure before the Banana Republics like California mandate their use. Environmentalism has turned into a religion for the left. Rant over, have a nice day ;)

This is one of the reason I'm not looking at EVs yet. Infrastructure may be useable in the big cities, but not in the smaller areas. I did recently see where a Chinese car company was making a station that swaps the batteries out, but only for their specific vehicle.

GypsyR:
Your problem is that you have grass and weeds that require trimming. You need to move to an area that doesn't have that, like the desert. Problem solved.
I wish. Spent my earlier days out there. Paused my travels in SC years ago to meet my wife and haven't left. It was my pleasure to take her out that Colorado/AZ/NM to visit a couple of years ago. She said she understood why that's where I'd be if I hadn't met her. She's also honestly said that if it weren't for kids and family she'd be right there with me. She loved it. Can't have it all though. :)

They've already reduced the amount water years ago. That's why dishwashers take twice as long compared to the ones in th 80's.

Back