• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Damn!

Before you go an accept that settlement check, do your homework. The value of the car pre-crash is the key to determining whether the car is a total loss or not. Things you need to know include the value of your car pre-crash and the cost of repairs due to the crash.
Keep in mind that when it comes to "totaled" its comes down to a dollar number that is a percentage of the total value of the pre-crash car. For example if the car was worth $10,000 before the crash and the insurance company considers damage more than 75% of the value to be total loss, your car is repairable so long as the cost of repairs is less than $7500.00.
Further, keep in mind that the cost of paint matching and blending can be a large number of dollars. You car appears to be a black primer so blending and matching may not be a factor in reaching the threshold percentage of damage.
Last, but not least, get an estimate from a reputable body shop for damage repair and see where you end up.
Check recent sales of similar cars for an idea of the fair market value, pre-crash.
If the numbers make sense, argue/negotiate a settlement with the adjuster.

I can’t find anything comparable to what I have in a registered and driveable condition within a 500 mile radius for less than $17000.
It’s going to be about $1800 in parts excluding shipping.
I’m almost done with this job so I’ll have a couple of weeks free afterwards.
I’ll refute the total loss claim and just fix it myself rather than have a salvage title.
Hopefully I’ll have it done by the fall.

Ask around for a classic car appraiser to do a pre-crash appraisal. I did one once many years ago for an insurance company. The owner, a nineteen y.o. claimed a '69 sportsroof was worth $10,000 before the crash. I came up with a vastly lower number and the kids attorney dad threatened to see me in court. I never got a call. They must have settled.

Last edited:
Well I sure sweated off that hangover real quick.
Now I’m all in for this one.
It’s going to be bear putting this back together.

Attachments

• F2A28D14-DDF4-48AB-93D4-DA44AFFE2E1E.jpeg
    F2A28D14-DDF4-48AB-93D4-DA44AFFE2E1E.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 36
Back