• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dang its hot...

Today is going to be interesting. We've got the forecast of 97+, some humidity, and the smoke from the fires in the Santa Cruz Mountains about 20 miles away. Air quality is beyond very unhealthy. We've got ash raining down at this point. I may just crawl back into bed..........................

Sun is painting everything in a orange hue.....no direct sunlight. Trying to get through the smoke. Ash is like little snow flakes. Everything is covered outside. No build up like a snow fall but its everywhere. The haze is thick. Viz about 1.5 mile...in a haze.

It is really perplexing to me sometimes that Texas is acclaimed as "the hot state" when it's been cooler here than in CA/UT/AZ the past couple weeks!

Last week it did get to 109*F but the heat index was "only" 112*F, then we had a "cold front" come through and now things are pretty capped at 100*F. Still colder than all you guys!

I haven't been in Austin in August in years - usually I'm tooling around the states on my way to/from Hot August Nights. Sometimes I'm places that're hotter than Texas, but most of the time not. I had forgotten how completely terrible August in Texas is! But it sounds like it's not as bad as August in CA/UT/AZ!

Oh yeah, and nothing's on fire because we have next to nothing to burn anyways....

Seems like it's raining ash in California and Colorado right now.

I can’t believe people that live in a place where you can drive a vert 364 days a year would be whining about that weather

Mark

Yeah it's been raining ash by my house all day. I'm 50 miles from LNU complex fire. It was 3 separate fires started by lightning and now is one massive fire. Hopefully they are able to get under control pretty quick.

It's supposed to be under 100 tomorrow but at least is going to be in the 60's at night.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, and nothing's on fire because we have next to nothing to burn anyways....

Seems like it's raining ash in California and Colorado right now.
Very smokey here thanks to California. I hate it.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last night at 2am the cell phone went off with a loud warning. "Be prepared to evacuate" wow.....I followed the link and read the areas it affected. Nothing close...like 10 mile or more away. I checked outside and at least the sky wasn't alit in red. Went back to bed hoping they would make another warning if it started to consume towns close by.

today a cold front...only 97

I can't imagine what it must feel like to be forced to evacuate your home and leave not knowing what might happen. Scary stuff. Be safe, Mike.

Wow I can't imagine what your going through having never been in this type of situation myself. Be safe, hoping and praying for the best in this situation.

For those not familiar with NorCal and the SF Bay Area, there are 9 major counties surrounding the Bay including major metropolitan centers and numerous outlying smaller towns with a total population of more than 7.7 million. The lightning storm from last week apparently had over 10,000 strikes which sparked many fires in remote areas that as of now are being treated as three main complex fires and a number of smaller fires. The complex to the west of me is currently estimated at 45,000 acres and covers pretty much everything from the ridge top (Santa Cruz Mountains) to the ocean and from Pescadero in San Mateo County to the UCSC campus at the north end of Santa Cruz with approximately 64,000 folks being evacuated so far from the mountain communities in the area.

The fire that is heading south toward Mike (Morgan Hill) covers a wide area (Alameda, Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Stanislaus, and San Joaquin, counties) to the east and south of San Jose is estimated to be nearly 230,000 acres.

The Fires in the North Bay have spread into 5 counties (Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Lake, and Yolo)

CalFire officials indicate there are about 1000 firefighters deployed and apparently little to no containment as of this morning. some fatalities have been reported, At present lots of smoke and ash in San Jose. This is a true $hitstorm.

Still home.
I had our travel trailer here to prep for a trip. When the warning came out we packed up the trailer and truck last night waiting for the "get out". It never came....whew. Tense night.

We live in a valley. A classic valley. To our east ( about 1.5 mile) is a line of rolling hills (about 1800 ft) covered in dry grass and the occasional oak tree and brush. To our west (about 4 miles) is the start of higher hills with denser vegetation and then higher and denser to become the Santa Cruz Mountains.
The Santa Cruz Mts are on fire to our west/nor west. The hills are on fire about 10 miles to our east. The mountains to the west are also some nice forest of redwoods. So when its on fire the trees are like match sticks with long flames that burn forever. The hills to our east are mostly grass but fire and the strong winds we have make that fire burn fast...as in traveling.

So considering how fires last year burnt down an entire town further north of here we can't take these warnings lightly.
This morning I cannot see a mile east. Smoke too thick.

Ken offered his driveway to move to and also to get my '67 there. That may still happen.
Later....

Still home.
I had our travel trailer here to prep for a trip. When the warning came out we packed up the trailer and truck last night waiting for the "get out". It never came....whew. Tense night.

We live in a valley. A classic valley. To our east ( about 1.5 mile) is a line of rolling hills (about 1800 ft) covered in dry grass and the occasional oak tree and brush. To our west (about 4 miles) is the start of higher hills with denser vegetation and then higher and denser to become the Santa Cruz Mountains.
The Santa Cruz Mts are on fire to our west/nor west. The hills are on fire about 10 miles to our east. The mountains to the west are also some nice forest of redwoods. So when its on fire the trees are like match sticks with long flames that burn forever. The hills to our east are mostly grass but fire and the strong winds we have make that fire burn fast...as in traveling.

So considering how fires last year burnt down an entire town further north of here we can't take these warnings lightly.
This morning I cannot see a mile east. Smoke too thick.

Ken offered his driveway to move to and also to get my '67 there. That may still happen.
Later....

That Ken is a pretty nice guy! I just need a couple hours notice and I will be there with my trailer to haul the 67 to safety! The driveway comes with free water and power.....food and adult beverages are on you!

Back