• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

double check on something

RustyRed

I was under the hood last night putting in my new coil. Hope to put the Pertronix in this evening.

In the last year or so I have replace my headlight harness and alternator harness. But some of the other wires under there are starting to look a little old.

Is it correct to assume that the gauge feed harness is pretty much the only one left under there? I was thinking this is the one that runs from the coil to the firewall, from the oil unit to the firewall, etc but also hooks up to the solenoid on the other side. Does that sound about right?

Thinking I might go ahead and replace the rest of the wires under there sometime soon.

"RustyRed" said:
Is it correct to assume that the gauge feed harness is pretty much the only one left under there? I was thinking this is the one that runs from the coil to the firewall, from the oil unit to the firewall, etc but also hooks up to the solenoid on the other side. Does that sound about right?

Thinking I might go ahead and replace the rest of the wires under there sometime soon.

I'm thinking the same things. I started taking inventory of which wires belong to which harness, and it seems like the only other one in there is the gauge feed harness, like you said. Fine with me, I'm making my own alt. and headlight harnesses, so I'll only have to buy one. :rofl

The gauge feed harness looks cheap enough. I just saw a couple on-line for $20 - $30 so not a big deal. Laurel Mountain has one on their ebay store for $32 or something along those lines.

My headlight harness was in bad shape when I bought the car so I replaced it a while back. The kid I bought the car from had chopped the connection off of the end of the headlight harness and had three (or four?) white wires kind of spliced in with miles of electrical tape to replace the alternator harness...try figuring out which wire goes to which post on that one when they are all the same color, LOL! I wasn't chopping up a new harness so I backed off on the install and bought a new alternator harness.

When we were putting in the new motor though it was a pain to figure out what wires went where due to lack of color coding in some spots on the gauge feed harness and a few of them look pretty worn.

For a couple of hours of my time at most and 30 bucks I think I am going to finish replacing the rest of the wires under the hood. It appears the neutral safety switch is a separate deal but it looks to me like the rest is just the one harness.

Back