• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dumb question of the day.....

bwross

Okay, I just managed to purchase a 67 fastback and have a really dumb question. Where are the interior lights located??! I've owned 3 coupes and pretty well know them but I have to admit a certain amount of unfamiliarity with the fastbacks.

thanks all,
Bruce

Okay, so I found the two under the dash; one didn't have a bulb in it. But the two in the back.....there are no holes in any of the quarter trim panels. Apparently those were replaced at some point and the lights not installed. Anyone have a pattern that would show where to place the hole? Also, 1157 bulbs?

thanks

If the holes were filled then there must be obvious filled in areas as to where they were because the panels have a grain and I expect the filled in areas were not grained. If you did attempt to reopen these areas the holes are of a unique shape.

But I must ask what is the condition of these two lower interior trim panels? If they have other cosmetic issues, then you might consider just obtaining another set that already has the lights installed?. Just an option.

I went out and reviewed the trim panels in detail; they appear to be relatively new and there is no witness line of holes being filled. Should the grain be the camera finish that's on the dash? Also, on my coupe those quarter panels are sheetmetal, on fastbacks should they we sheetmetal as well? Because the panels in there are ABS plastic, and they don't look like they fit real well or the previous owner did a poor job of fitting them.

thanks all for your indulgence.

Bruce

The lower panels are supposed to be fiberglass but there are aftermarket reproduction ones that use ABS. But even the ABS version has the holes punched / drilled for the lights. Also behind the panel there should be a piece of tubing about 3-4" diameter affixed to the inside of the panel that is used to sheild the light from showing through any of the nearby trim joints. I used the ABS panels on mine and I think the quality was decent. I did have to trim them some, but more so to accomodate changes I made to my car. They certainly are not as rigid as fiberglass panels.

The location of the rear courtesy lights can be seen in the below picture. These are original panels.

100_0778.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back