• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Dyno Day for the 502

I went to a bereavement class after my first wife passed away. We had people with every connection to the deceased that you could think of, from spouses to children, grand children, friends, siblings, etc. Sometimes everyone needs a little help. Encourage them to do so. It does help.

Thanks guys! Tara has had a rough year, losing her dad in January and then her Grandpa just a week or so ago. Her mom's health is not good either and the week she spent with her was good. They are going to go on a cruise (with her sister too) to spend some more time with her mom while they can. They are going in a couple weeks if her mom's health remains okay. During the visit her mom had to spend a couple days in the hospital and Tara stayed by her.
I always enjoyed talking with her grandpa, he was a quite man and at family get togethers he would often go off to a room by himself. I somehow found myself with him and he would talk with me. He was ready to go, his wife, Tara's grandma died 10 years ago and he missed her so much.
Anyway, we all know life and death and sickness. It is great to have you all to share our experiences with.

Sorry to hear about Tara's grandfather. We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Glad you got time to get the engine in. Hopefully you can get some more time and make it north for the fall cruise.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about Tara's grandfather. We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Glad you got time to get the engine in. Hopefully you can get some more time and make it north for the fall cruise.

thanks, yes, that would be great. I am going to try and put the headers on this afternoon but I need to make a little wifey time too!

well, I spent a half hour getting the driver's side header in. I thought it would be an issue since the new motor mounts lower the engine and move it back. I was worried that it might interfere with the steering gearbox. But it went in fairly smoothly. I spent the next 4 hours or so fighting the passenger side. I removed the motor mounts, pulled the idler arm and jacked the car and engine up all to no avail. The engine is going to have to come back out. I will try to put the engine back in with the headers on. Not looking forward to that. I am so discouraged I quit fro the night. Took a shower, it was not super hot but very humid.

I'm guessing that the fitment issues on the passenger side were more along the path the header had to take rather than its final resting place. Strange you couldn't find a way to make space but feel dropping it in with it attached will work. Surprised the passenger side is the hang up. Header installs can be a real pain in the ass I can only imagine it in a situation like you've got. You'll get it.

yeah, the issue is the shape of the bellhousing where the starter goes. I used the headers on the dyno so I know they will fit. Just trying to get the header in there with the engine in the bay is too tight. The header hits the motor with the flange and the frame rail or shock tower with the tubes and hangs up on the bellhousing. The tubes going to the collector go over the top/back side of the starter. But I just can't get it in there, not enough room to squeeze it up from underneath and no way it will go in from the top. When I put them on many years ago with the 429 and C6 I had to raise the engine off the motor mount and feed it up from underneath but that's not working this time. I think the Quick time Bell is much bulkier than the C6 casting and the engine is sitting lower and further back than before. I think if i just raise it enough out of the engine bay to bolt it on, I can lower it back in place (I am hoping). Like you I didn't think this side would be an issue.

yeah, the issue is the shape of the bellhousing where the starter goes. I used the headers on the dyno so I know they will fit. Just trying to get the header in there with the engine in the bay is too tight. The header hits the motor with the flange and the frame rail or shock tower with the tubes and hangs up on the bellhousing. The tubes going to the collector go over the top/back side of the starter. But I just can't get it in there, not enough room to squeeze it up from underneath and no way it will go in from the top. When I put them on many years ago with the 429 and C6 I had to raise the engine off the motor mount and feed it up from underneath but that's not working this time. I think the Quick time Bell is much bulkier than the C6 casting and the engine is sitting lower and further back than before. I think if i just raise it enough out of the engine bay to bolt it on, I can lower it back in place (I am hoping). Like you I didn't think this side would be an issue.

You’ll get it buddy. You are the most spacial aware guy I know. I bet your just laying around visualizing this. It will drive you crazy when you lay down to sleep and you’ll be back out there getting it in lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll get it buddy. You are the most spacial aware guy I know. I bet your just laying around visualizing this. It will drive you crazy when you lay down to sleep and you’ll be back out there getting it in lol.

thanks, yeah I am sure there is a way. just frustrated at the moment. In my younger days I wouldn't stop until I totally lost my temper. I was working on it alone and started to get pissed so I called it a night. I might be able to work on it some this week before I fly to England.
I was thinking it had gone too smoothly so far!!!

Well I did have to yank the engine back out (twice). Once to message the header with a hammer so I could get the motor mounts to Line up.
f77713aa733ffa637a1357fc7cead426.jpg

20b681321e52b870c9bdebb185d1a3c1.jpg

f6143cbb430c04934de02c31b964be42.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I don't know what I was whining about! However, I am fairly confident if I break a motor mount, the engine won't really go anywhere but straight down onto the ground...
Fixed it for you.

Ah, by the time you need to change the plugs you'll have another reason why the engine has to come out anyway.

Looking good Craig...but I don't think I have ever seen someone install their brake lines with bungee cords before! :D

Back