• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EFI Fuel Tanks

kb3

Do any of the vendors offer replacement fuel tanks set up for EFI systems? I know, in my other world, there are several Bronco vendors that do this for those trucks. I have yet to find one setup and ready to go for Mustangs. It would be great to find one with an in-tank high pressure pump as well as the supply and return lines already installed.

If not, does anyone have examples of what they have used?

I'm uncertain if there is a "plug and play" fuel tank setup specifically for EFI powered classic Mustangs, but I'm betting there is... somewhere.

However, the more common solution is to:

1. Adapt a stock fuel sending unit.... or buy one already modified from Ron Morris (available from his on-line catalog). The one pictured below is from Ron Morris and is installed on my EFI '66.

2. Route the fuel return line to the stock drain plug on an OE style tank.

You'll read where a "holding tank" should be used to prevent fuel slosh from an OE tank. While this isn't a bad idea (and I did contemplate making one), the setup pictured below has served me well without incident for 6-7000 miles and I've run the OE style tank pretty close to empty.

3_22_09_09_6_33_57_4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,

I am having a hard time deciphering what I am seeing there. It appears that everything is upside down. To the left of the pic I see what looks like a stock sending unit with lock ring, including two fuel lines? One is probably supply and the other a vent??? It then looks like a fuel filter and then a fuel pump. Am I anywhere near right? and if it is the bottom of the tank, how does the fuel sender work?

Thanks

Tanks Inc. has exactly what you need.

While I was replying, "Tanks Inc" somehow came to mind, but I couldn't be certain. For the last half hour I've been scouring the net (and I started at Tanks Inc's website) looking for an EFI classic Mustang fuel tank. I knew there was one out there, but even after looking I still can't seem to find it (???). Can you link the tank here for me?

"kb3" said:
Dave,

I am having a hard time deciphering what I am seeing there. It appears that everything is upside down. To the left of the pic I see what looks like a stock sending unit with lock ring, including two fuel lines? One is probably supply and the other a vent??? It then looks like a fuel filter and then a fuel pump. Am I anywhere near right? and if it is the bottom of the tank, how does the fuel sender work?

Thanks

LOL. Let me try and get a better picture for you... something to show perspective. But yes, you've got it correct. Notice the top of the rearend housing in the bottom of the picture. It's not a fuel "vent" line though, it's a fuel "return line". EFI requires a high pressure pump (which you correctly identified) that supplies fuel in the ~80 psi range. Only a small portion of this fuel is used and the remainder is routed back to the tank through the required (and pictured) fuel return line.

The sending unit works exactly as a stock sending unit would.

Better picture coming real soon!

Better (hopefully) picture. Note: All of these pictures are accessible to you in the StangFix Gallery.... in the album titled "Dave Sanborn's '66".

3_07_09_08_6_27_56_0.JPG

The EFI fuel pump is mounted to the underside of the car on the transition pan. After making all of the connections, which aren't pretty, but have worked flawlessly, the fuel is routed and returned to the engine compartment along the passenger side of the car along the framerail via 3/8ths mild steel supply and 5/16ths mild steel return lines. I used AN style fittings wherever I could, but had to use some barb type fittings (double clamped) between the outlet side of the pump and the origin of the fuel supply hard line. The fuel pump is a standard over the counter Ford OE pump from (I believe) a mid 80's ford truck. Prior to the fuel pump and the entire fuel return line system is under low pressure (thus the pictured single clamps on the rubber lines). Keep in mind that an EFI engine receives it's fuel on the passenger side of the engine.

Mine is set up similar to Dave's... however I modified the sender to accept another a second 5/16" line for the fuel return. I basically drilled a 1/4" hole and then rolled the edge of the hole over with a tapered drift over a socket.... used this to enlarge the hole enough to slip the 5/16 tube in the hole and still have a fillet which got soldered making a solid joint much like the original tube. If you fab your own, be sure to aim the tube internally away from the fuel pickup to eliminate any potential aeration. I didn't realize this 'til after I got it installed and all fueled up. For the most part it's worked for me. The pump (MSD 2225) is pulling direct from the tank and pushing fuel through the EFI filter. The plastic lines are wrapped with fuel hose just for an added measure of protection.

Be sure your fuel line is the high pressure rated line for EFI, and you are also supposed to use the efi style clamps as opposed to the traditional worm gear style clamps. (less chance of stripping)

filter.jpg

fuel_pump.jpg

I now see my problem....it would have helped quite a bit had I actually taken the car apart myself or have seen the parts. I was under the impression that the sending unit went in from the top, not the bottom. It all makes perfect sense now. Thanks guys for the pictures and the description.

The Glenn tanks would fit the bill, but come with quite a premium for what they are offering.

"classicdoug" said:
Tanks Inc. has exactly what you need. I think it is well worth the money. I prefer in tank pumps.

Doug

I too would prefer to use an in-tank pump, but cannot find anything on the Tank Inc website. I would appreciate it if you could give me a bit more info.

Ken

We do check out our website, we make it for the stock location but have not put a picture on yet, the one on there is made for the Eleanor setup. We do sell a lot of these tanks as we are the only ones who make anything like it. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
We do check out our website, we make it for the stock location but have not put a picture on yet, the one on there is made for the Eleanor setup. We do sell a lot of these tanks as we are the only ones who make anything like it. Rich.

Great! I would like to take a look, but it appears your website is down. I have had trouble accessing it several times in the past as well. Can you tell me what the price is and do you have a picture?

Back