• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EFI Power Cutting

Electric pumps are designed to PUSH not PULL the fuel. This is why it always states to put them as close to the tank as possible. Absolute best location is in the tank itself but this requires more investment in the system, obviously. The largest advantages in such a set up are the fuel itself acting as a cooling agent for the pump and secondly, in a properly designed tank arrangement the pump is located in a baffled chamber which keeps the pump pick-up completely submerged in fuel even under hard corning or braking situations. Nothing worse for a pump than being starved for fuel and run dry.

My set-up is in tank. If you are going with an external to the tank pump, I suggest mounting it directly in front of the tank opposite the stock sending unit area, as low as possible on the floor pan sheet metal. Be mindful of exhaust routing as you do not want to get any closer than necessary.
Thanks, OK so went for the intank solution now, ordered the tank from Tanks, Inc with the GPA4 intank pump.

Seems to be the right thing to do!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Terrific choice! That's what I installed. Another added benefit I failed to mention is that an in-tank pump is also much quieter. The Tanks inc tank is VERY nice and comes in a silvery gray powdercoat finish so no worries about exterior corrosion and such. It's a nice looking piece.

Back