• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electric assist steering...anyone?

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Has anyone installed the electric assist steering under the dash? How is it?

Is it only compatible with manual steering?

How robust does your electrical system need to be?

Inquiring minds want to know.;)

You don't pay attention to many of the threads on here do you? :p I know of at least two different folks that have done this. Tarafied installed one that is a kit, and then someone else built one from parts. Both good threads to follow. No doubt one or both will chime in here.

I think adding it to your 67 should be easy, especially since the engine is already out!

You don't pay attention to many of the threads on here do you? :p I know of at least two different folks that have done this. Tarafied installed one that is a kit, and then someone else built one from parts. Both good threads to follow. No doubt one or both will chime in here.

I think adding it to your 67 should be easy, especially since the engine is already out!

Sorry Mike but I have to second that. ^

Just real quick. First I sold my FB, but I have my eye on another one.

I made my own EPAS: lots of fab, especially dealing with the clutch assembly and EPAs motor under dash.

I put in a manual rack (Unisteer). Not bad, but what I didn’t think about is. I should have put in a power rack (but not install the hydraulics). Because a Manual rack takes more revolution to turn the wheel .

Now for the EPAs. Works great so easy to turn even on the lowest setting.

One problem. Just as an example: ( a normal car when you make a U turn after you make the turn your normally just the the wheel slip through your fingers and the wheel will unwind by itself. Now since I had the manual rack making a I turn, once you make the turn (several revolutions). You are then turning the wheel the other way to straighten the wheel out. The EPAS only turn when you tell it to.

If I get the other FB it will need power steering, and I think I will go with the borgenson system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One problem. Just as an example: ( a normal car when you make a U turn after you make the turn your normally just the the wheel slip through your fingers and the wheel will unwind by itself. Now since I had the manual rack making a I turn, once you make the turn (several revolutions). You are then turning the wheel the other way to straighten the wheel out. The EPAS only turn when you tell it to.

If I get the other FB it will need power steering, and I think I will go with the Borgeson system.
This is interesting. Can others with electric steering chime in and give their experience with the wheels returning to "home". I have a Borgeson set-up in my car and am a big fan. So much so I can't say for sure how it returns. I just drive and it seems "right". I'll be going out tomorrow and will make a mental note to pay attention so I can report back. I was set on electric for the F1 as I didn't want to waste engine power spinning a pump. Seems I might need to think about it some more.

Is the return to center a factor based on the power steering system or the alignment? I am not sure what would cause any system to return on its own because of the source of “power”

IMHO the return to center is caused by the caster aligment.Mayby the EPAS needs more caster , like 3-4 degree ???
My 2 eurocent.

I took his response to mean his electric set-up has a markedly different feel when coming out of a turn that requires more driver input than what he is used to. Could be caster adjustment issue but at what point does that really come into play? When the wheels are at 40 degrees? 30? 15? Always? I was thinking the gearing in the electric unit might inhibit the natural mechanical reaction. Don't know. Maybe Craig will chime in and give his experience.

So think about this. EPAS systems normally are hooked up to a computer that controls the EPAS. There is no computer. All it knows is input from the driver.

Now for the good news. I had ZERO slop in the steering.

Driving straight always took minor adjustment on the highway. I did have 3-4 degrees of caster. It always needs driver input.

Maybe I’m just being picky, thinking it would driver like my Acura. I did like there was no hydraulics and the engine bay was clean.

Question on the Boregeson: How many revolutions to turn full left? The Unisteer manual rack was 2 full steering wheel revolutions.

Also does it try to return to center after a U turn?

I was looking at Boregeson also but that GM pump sitting in the engine bay just doesn't seem right.

Where does the Elect system get its power...wired to where?

The "computer" for the EPAS only regulates how much assist you get at certain speed. For example , when the speed is low , for example by parking , you get max assist and when the cars speed gets higher you get lesser assist. Gives a safer feeling when doing 100mph

Something is wrong about the lower steering linkage when it doesn't come to center of its own. Mayby a balljoint is has some grip /stuck , idler arm .

The EPAs does not know how fast you are going. You have a manualpotentiameter to adjust how much assist you want.

The "computer" for the EPAS only regulates how much assist you get at certain speed. For example , when the speed is low , for example by parking , you get max assist and when the cars speed gets higher you get lesser assist. Gives a safer feeling when doing 100mph
Bruno, the EPAS system he is writing about is an aftermarket kit not an OEM swap. It has a potentiaometer that is used to regulate the assist level (voltage to the motor, I presume).

Something is wrong about the lower steering linkage when it doesn't come to center of its own. Mayby a balljoint is has some grip /stuck , idler arm .
I'm thinking it could also have something to do with the resistance of the gear reduction of the assist motor inline with the steering shaft. That's why I wanted to hear from Craig as he has an EPAS installed in his 67. I'm sure it's a "feel thing" but getting another perspective or two on it might help to clear it up.

IMHO it would be recommendable having a EPAS which assist is speed dependable. But thats me.

There was a change over mid-year from the old Spearamatic type solid steering shaft to a newer rag joint style. While I don't know the dates the change took place, I can walk out the to garage when I get home and see what your car has!

If you are serious about going this route, Mike, you may want to look at these guys too. About half the money. Either way requires the same level of intrusive modification.

Back