• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Paint

Kats66Pny

So I have some free time while Gert is at the shop and have some room in my garage for a bit so thinking of what I can do while she's gone... paint the engine (block & heads), but I'm having a hard time deciding which color I want to do. :shrug

New Ford Gray or Low Gloss Black
de1611_030210.jpg
de1634_030310.jpg

My intake is going be powder coated with silver vein, like this.
B)%20Silver%20Vein.jpg

My valve covers are going to look the same (chrome/black), but PC'd to make them look better and less maintenance.
IMG_4015.jpg

Some other parts I forgot what they are called but they bolt on to the front lol are going to be powder coated in a silver polyester (or chrome). Told him I like either. Both are shiny and pretty and I want bling. :roll
silverpoly.jpg

I will be replacing the radiator with a new aluminum one with the correct in/outs for a 302 swap.
Spark plug wires I was thinking of replacing with some good ones that are black. Yellow is just UGLY.
Air filter will be replaced with a K&N (3" probably now that I have a lots of room with the new hood)
The engine bay I was thinking a low gloss black. Nothing too shiny, but nothing dull like it is now.

Old picture.. but might help for visual reference.
IMG_3880.jpg

Oh and some of the interior (dash, steering column) will be this color. And the body (once painted) will be a similar color, with just a tad of pearl.
IMG_4549.jpg

Never thought picking an engine color could be so hard. :roul

Last edited by a moderator:
I just painted the wife's engine the old ford blue. I accidently grabbed that blue instead of the newer darker blue, and it's too late now - I just finished stuffing the motor in the engine bay. If you go with the black, it will hide any oil leaks and grime better than the lighter colors.

I decided to go with black for the contrast to the valve covers as well. That said, I also went with black because the entire color theme of the car is black and grey. I'm out of town so these are the only two pictures of the engine painted that I have access to, but it should give you a good idea of the black...
416_02_10_10_9_05_00.JPG

416_02_10_10_9_05_21.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my overall color scheme will be grays and black.

The guy doing the PCing on my parts... said go gray. :confu

LOL Well.. he has one helluva nice 68 fastback. :part

TexasFastback-1.jpg

if this looks familiar, it's because he post on VMF. He also lives in my town.

Either way...it is what YOU like....no one else. Compare the pics and go from there.

Kat I had the same struggles with the EFI motor I'm putting in the coupe. From the factory the block/heads were bare and the oil pan was Ford gray. What to do?! I ended up painting the oil pan gray and the block/heads in black (of course, bring an EFI motor the upper/lower intake and valve covers are aluminum). I too liked the contrast between black and gray. Honestly, IMHO I think an all gray engine would look a little out of place.

I've just about got everything back together on mine. I know you wanna get crack-a-lackin on it, but I'll post some picks in a few days when mines all back together.

Hmmm Ford Dark Blue might look kind of neat :confu especially if I go with some other hints of blue around the bay, like spark plug wires. My color scheme is gray (chrome/billet), black, blue.

sp125_040510.jpg

Black. As a woman you should know black goes with everything. As a woman you should also know you are prone to changing your mind...a lot. Plans change. A black engine will go with anything and quite honestly, you don't really see much of it when everything is bolted together. Paint it blue and eventually go a different path with the color scheme and that little bit that shows will all of a sudden be VERY obvious. Black is not only good looking but safe. Re-painting an engine in the bay is a PITA.

Mood killer. :char LOL

I'll probably go with black just for the sake of black helps hide dirt and oil better... and I'm lazy and don't plan on wiping down the bay before every weekly car meet unlike some of my fellow car club members do. :no

Do you have to use clear coat on engines?? Or just spray it down with paint (prep first of course) and call it done? I noticed VHT has engine enamel clear coat, primers, etc.

Back