• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fastback rear panel installation sequence

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Being that I'm about to start on gtscode's interior, I am very lucky that he kept a drawing I did some time ago regarding what I believe is the correct installation sequence for the rear panels in a 67/68 fastback. Thus I re-drew it to make it a little more legible. Please let me know if I'm wrong and if this applies to 65/66 as well. Also I don't remember if it really matters if panel 4 is installed before #5. Same goes for #1 vs #2.

Note: Just for clarification, LH ceiling panel is driver's side.

4-110313113143.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the sequence but the spelling nazi in me wanted you to know there is no "d" in legible. Yes I have many issues. Yes I need to let it go. I'll go back to the corner now.

Looks like the same sequence I installed mine.

It's pretty obvious but, its easy to forget to install the brackets for the rear overhead panels before the headliner goes in. Ask me how I know it's easy to forget. Fortunately the panels are wide enough to cover up the slits I had to make to install the brackets.

Thanks Chris. Per that link the bottom panel (4) gets installed before the top panel (5), at least on a 65/66 as you can see how the fastening tabs of the upper panel lay on top of the lower panel tab.

Good find!

"GTchris" said:
Looks like the same sequence I installed mine.

It's pretty obvious but, its easy to forget to install the brackets for the rear overhead panels before the headliner goes in. Ask me how I know it's easy to forget. Fortunately the panels are wide enough to cover up the slits I had to make to install the brackets.

Those brackets should be there!! I never took them out. Should there be a problem MOF headliner here I come.

I was originally told to take everything off the car I could as we were going to blast it. I did not know any better.

"cmayna" said:
Oh you mean these?
a9azu3yt.jpg

ha5y5aga.jpg

aza6a5yr.jpg

Those be the brackets. At least I did not need the middle one as I installed an overhead console and the panels install to the console bracket in that position.

So the bracket that holds the console also holds roof panels? If so, the holes must still be there. Justin, I assume you previously had a console in the car?

Here is the picture I took of my rear console bracket before I installed the headliner. I did not need use the original small bracket that you pictured Craig. The overhead panel screwed right into the larger console bracket.

06-18-2011007.jpg

Using some small needles I did poking around and found all six holes. AKA: Measure 3 times, poke once.

:thu

me4avatu.jpg

uja9yqy2.jpg

nevytaje.jpg

"cmayna" said:
Oh you mean these?
a9azu3yt.jpg

ha5y5aga.jpg

aza6a5yr.jpg

Please, oh please tell me those are 67/68 specific parts and not used in the 65/66. I don't have those, and I am certain they will be impossible to source. Anyone?

"kb3" said:
Please, oh please tell me those are 67/68 specific parts and not used in the 65/66. I don't have those, and I am certain they will be impossible to source. Anyone?

I think they might be available in the aftermarket now, but even if not, they are pretty simple to make with tin snips, file, hammer, vice and a drill. I had to make the center one on mine.

"Midlife" said:
Not in a standard 66 fastback.

as opposed to?....a non-standard? :shrug

Thanks! I can breathe a bit easier now. Maybe I will trial fit the pieces this weekend and finally get the interior put together.

Just buy me an first class isle seat on H00ters airlines to your town and I'll help ya.

Back