• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fastener help

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
Nothing is ever easy. I am in need of a special type of fastener that, to date, I have been unable to find. I'm to the point I might just invest in a 3D printer and make my own!

What I want is a double ended stud where one end is conventional threads and the other has a press fit/locking end to secure a plastic piece to the surface of another panel. Basically, I'm looking to tightly secure a shallow trim piece (<1/4" thickness) to the surface of a panel with a hidden fastener. Something like this would be perfect.

cd_8-inch-pin_2014.01.31.jpg

The base piece is very thick so I cannot use something that would pass-through from the back side. Has to be done from the surface. I could machine a pocket in the primary piece into which I could thread the pin and have only the interference portion above the panel surface to mate with the trim. Problem is the only thing I have found so far like this is in the medical field and I haven't been able to find a source from which to buy for less than a million dollars.

My other idea (born from my redneck heritage) is to just cut the head of a bolt or screw and thread it in and press the trim over the headless end. The trim is a flexible rubber like plastic so this will likely work but if anyone is familiar with a fastener made for this type of application (surface pairing of two pieces)...and there has to be one...please give me some direction. Ideal sizing would be something in the neighborhood of 1/4" max diameter with a interference shaft length above the panel surface of 3/16". I could always also screw the threaded end into the trim and use a longer press fit shaft to go into the base material. this might actually be the better way to go now that I type it...

Last edited:
Nothing is ever easy. I am in need of a special type of fastener that, to date, I have been unable to find. I'm to the point I might just invest in a 3D printer and make my own!

What I want is a double ended stud where one end is conventional threads and the other has a press fit/locking end to secure a plastic piece to the surface of another panel. Basically, I'm looking to tightly secure a shallow trim piece (<1/4" thickness) to the surface of a panel with a hidden fastener. Something like this would be perfect.

View attachment 29573

The base piece is very thick so I cannot use something that would pass-through from the back side. Has to be done from the surface. I could machine a pocket in the primary piece into which I could thread the pin and have only the interference portion above the panel surface to mate with the trim. Problem is the only thing I have found so far like this is in the medical field and I haven't been able to find a source from which to buy for less than a million dollars.

My other idea (born from my redneck heritage) is to just cut the head of a bolt or screw and thread it in and press the trim over the headless end. The trim is a flexible rubber like plastic so this will likely work but if anyone is familiar with a fastener made for this type of application (surface pairing of two pieces)...and there has to be one...please give me some direction. Ideal sizing would be something in the neighborhood of 1/4" max diameter with a interference shaft length above the panel surface of 3/16". I could always also screw the threaded end into the trim and use a longer press fit shaft to go into the base material. this might actually be the better way to go now that I type it...

Use liquid nails.

Anyone do dental implants near you?
http://www.ceraroot.com/patients/zirconia-vs-titanium/

https://www.google.com/search?q=zir...Um7YMKHS3UC-AQwg4IFygA&biw=360&bih=511&dpr=2#

search

I think I found a winner. Hit a couple hardware stores and started digging through all the misc. parts drawers and found this.

stud.jpg

Overall length is just over 1/2". I'm going to cut a slot in the top of the machine screw threaded end to allow the use of a flat head screwdriver to drive the sheet metal threaded end into the substrate material and have just about 1/8" of the stud standing above the surface. A slightly undersized hole drilled in the trim piece should hold firmly against the threads when pressed down onto it.

I think I've got this latest problem solved!

3D printers are awesome. I worked on a project where we needed to provide a stop to prevent ramming the radar rack into the building wall. I suggested 3D printer stops and the management was dumbfounded. The result worked perfectly but I got little credit for coming up with the innovative idea

3D printing was thought of as a possible solution as I'm thisclose to buying one. Just trying to finalize selection. There are a lot of manufacturers and models out there and they are certainly not all created equal. I want to make sure what I get will serve the purposes for a while. "Resolution", media types and part size limitations are the key variables I am trying to find in the right unit. I want to be able to use various plastics depending on part need while not being too restricted in final product size.

Anyone got firsthand experience with any units? Guidance?

Last edited:
Back