• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fiberglass info/help...

AzPete

The other hood I got with the '66 is a '67 style double scoop all fiberglass hood. I started looking it over good today. In the area of the scoop, it has some cracks. Looks like pressure was applied on the top of the scoop. All on the under side, three go forward from the scoop on the main hood. One at each corner and one in the middle of the scoop opening. They are between 2 and 4 inches long. The fourth is on the underside of the scoop itself, about 3 inches long going towards the rear, at the center of the scoop. When pressure is put on the area, I can see the cracks open but nothing shows thru on the top side.

What would be the proper procedure to repair them with the least cost?

the proper procedure to repair them with the least cost?

Use a mini-grinder to create a "V" shaped channel along the length of each crack. Be VERY careful not to cut too deep.... maybe half to two thirds of the way into the thickness of the parent material. Clean the area really good to remove any loose dust/FG and then run a solid bead of FG resin into the channel, followed by an overlap with resin soaked FG cloth along the cracks length. Using a disposable brush, apply a thick coat of resin over the FG cloth to blend the repaired area into the rest of the area.

If the underside of the hood is "finished", after the resin has hardeded the repair can be sanded, primed and painted to match. If the underside of the hood is "unfinished".... i.e., it has a rough FG texture, you don't need to do any finish work on the repaired area.

Back