• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Found some better seats....

AzPete

......from a '04 Mustang V6 with the leather upgrade. Drivers side had power so that is no longer. Had to run to Pensacola area (280 mile round trip) to get the. They were $300 and in pretty darn good condition.

Got home and after a bit of local stuff to do, I took a couple hours and installed them. The passenger side was straight forward. Bolt in the front of the rail, drill new hole in seat base for the back bolt. Install rails and install seat. Drivers side was a bit different. The platform for the rails was not flat as was the pass. one. I had to cut some of the raised area out to for the adjustment mechanism of the rails. After that, the fit was good by using some spacers between the rails and the seat. Same as the other, the front used the original hole in the seat and I drilled new holes in the seat pan for the rear bolt. Both seat adjuster levers had to be flattened out too. Wife even passed them with flying colors. I will say the humidity sucks today.....

Now, everyone knows what the stock seats look like.
Duringpass.jpg

Duringdriver.jpg

After.jpg

The seats do not have the side bolster of the GT which is normally a bit narrow for my old back side. Had them in our '00 GT so it a good comparison. I did not lower the pans I I did not set the seats back further than normal. I do have the smaller wheel as you can see. I am 6'3" and, well, a bit large around the middle. I fit fine. I recline the seat a bit and all is good. I do have to lean forward about 2" to actually reach the radio. Simple fix there is get out the remote for the radio.

I also got the rear seats for that price. They came from a coupe so each side folds. I have read up on that conversion and it will be done sometime once I sort out the details of how I want to do it. Once done, I will sell the entire front and rear stock set.

And the Black Wattles was good after the test drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need a second opinion on the seats, particularly before and after a Black Wattles.

Hey! I'm here to help!

Thanks. The elec. seat mechanism makes the seat sit a couple inches higher and I would run out of head room.

Yes. The only difference is the seat themselves. I am still using the original '66 tracks which include the adjusting mechanism. Did our running around in it today. Those seats really make a difference. Just a few more things to do and we will be driving this car a lot more.

Pete,

Unless you're going to string an aftermarket 3 pt. belt system through that fugly looking bracket alongside the headrest, that fugly bracket comes off with a couple screws if I remember correctly.... I have the similar '04 GT seats installed in my '66 and had the same fugly bracket, but removed it.

Yep. Finally got them off. Couldn't figure out how to release the headrests so it was a bit of a pain to get them. It does look better without them for sure. Just ran out of time last night as a cold beer crept up on me and forced itself into my hand.

i have the same seats sitting in my garage for about 6 months now cant wait to put them in hows the leather match up with the rear seats?

They look a tad lighter, but not terribly outta place. I think Pete also had a thread about changing the rear to the late model seats. Dont you have a fold down in yours?

Duringdriver.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For a front to back match, it is so-so. You can see the difference with the two different seats in the above picture. The '04 seats look a bit more charcoal compared to the black of the '66.

I actually did not have to adjust any of my mirrors once I got them done and adjusted. That surprised me.

As for the rear seat, since mine is "just a Coupe" it has a real seat in the back. The '04 rear seat is a split fold down type. I think I have sorted out how to make it all fit. The back is not a problem at all. A bit of trimming and bolt the frame in. The base needs to have a front base built and I have some ideas working. The '04 seats are an inch or so narrower than the '66. I think I can use the '66 Vert side panels in the for the rear seat to fill the gap. I will have to fill the opening at the top of them is all.

Now, I was not planning on the back seat work for a while but I have a guy who wants (Sat. am) to buy both the front and back seats plus the hood I have. I will have no back seat since a deal in the hand is good.....

"pnandy" said:
i have the same seats sitting in my garage for about 6 months now cant wait to put them in hows the leather match up with the rear seats?

I have similar seats in my 97 and they are actually black.
The seats that Pete has are a very dark charcoal which Ford went to in the later years of the SN95.

Back