• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Front end alignment

Not sure what they’re using for specs. This shop has been around for a long time. The problem has been inconsistent in that it’s been severe toe in and then severe toe out wear.
I’m pretty confident that I have caused this problem with jacking and jack stand locations unfortunately. I’m not going to jack up the car at all before driving it a while and taking it back to the shop for a recheck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The shop should be giving you a print out that shows the BEFORE numbers and also the AFTER numbers. Without that you are just guessing what is going on.

As the vast majority of alignment techs have never seen a vintage Mustang on the rack they lack the experience, in many cases, to identify a problem. One thing EASILY overlooked are worn strut rod bushings, which will allow the lower control arms to move forward and backward under varying conditions. It is all to easy to set caster, camber and toe and ship the car down the road and what happens? The rolling resistance of the tires pushes them toward the rear as the bushings allow the strut rods to pull back. THAT motion pulls the steering knuckles inward and toes out the front end.

Another aspect of "modern" front end alignment processes is the lack of experience setting caster and camber and technicians who simply say "close enough", set the toe and ship it.

Last but not least is the inherent design flaw in the '67-70 Mustang eccentric camber adjuster that allows it to "slip" out of adjustment. This can be addressed with an eccentric eliminator kit.

Back