• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

gas guage stopped working

Teebone

The gas guage on my 70 convertable with a 302 2V stopped working, it would work and then not work, now it is not working at all. Any suggestions?, I am terrible at anything electric. :dun

Remove the wire from the sending unit on the tank and touch it to a good ground and see if the gauge needle pegs to full when the key is on. Do not leave power applied to the gauge this way to long. If the needle does move, you have a sender issue.

Remove the sending unit and test it but be sure the tank is low on fuel..... Hook it up to the wiring (use jumper wires to extend from under the car) while out of the tank and turn on the key. Move the float up and down to see if the needle moves on the gauge.

"Teebone" said:
The gas guage on my 70 convertable with a 302 2V stopped working, it would work and then not work, now it is not working at all. Any suggestions?, I am terrible at anything electric. :dun

I better print your response while I do this like I said I am terrible at anything electric, taking a motor apart I am great but electrics, fagetabotit..

The contact of the fuel sender against the rheostat (that provides the variable signal) often get corroded or lose contact, explaining an intermittent fuel signal. Probably time to replace the sending unit.

On the other hand, the signal line may be partially broken or have an intermittent contact. Pete's test will determine whether it is the wire or the sending unit.

Back