• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Got another car, 1976 El Camino Laguna

Gigantopithecus

Today, I picked up my grandfather's 76 el camino. He passed back in March, and everything of his had to be sold per his will. I couldn't bear the thought of this car leaving the family since it's been with us since 1978, so I bought it. It needs some love. He couldn't drive it the last 4 years, so it sat.
Lots of memories in this thing.

10b9597f2bebc2cbb833db6246861c1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ade2f68a0f6ea7cf4c031a3b613b871b.jpg

Its REALLY clean! Nice ride. My dad always drove El Caminos. His last was an 81 slug I yanked the 6 cylinder out of and dropped in a 350. I like 'em!

Nice looking El Camino, always thought the rear lights in the bumpers looked cool.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

It'll eventually need paint. The front bumper has all kinds of spiderwebs. Body is straight, and not very rusty from what I could tell.
Felt strange to drive it. Last time I did was over 20 years ago.

That he did. He was the second owner. Drove it everywhere. Pretty sure it has well over 300k miles on the chassis.

Sorry to hear your grandpa passed away.

Cool car. It's always even better when it has a family connection or special meaning.

We will of course need more pictures even though it's a chebby.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

i really like that generation el camino, i even owned one once. didnt have the laguna nose on it though. perhaps one day i will own another.

Very nice of you to give this car and all the memories that came with it a great home. I sure you will enjoy it.

Very cool... it looks great. What are your plans for it? I've had my '65 El Camino for 30 years this month. Hoping my kids have the sense to hang on to it too.

Plans for now are to fix what needs fixing. Weatherstripping, brakes, tuneup, treat any rust I find, etc. Other than that, drive it. Drove it around the neighborhood today, remembering all the trips we took in it. We used to throw a mattress in the bed, slap on the camper shell, and road trip it to Houston, TX. 11 hours in the bed of a truck.

that is cool, I like the nose! Sorry to hear about your grandpa but glad you could save the car and his memory

So further investigation says this is actually a 75. And that nose is a copo option(6H1), and not many with that factory option.
It seems the Laguna nose was only put on two tone cars built in Arlington, TX. I'll need to find the build sheet, if it hasn't disentigrated yet to verify some things, but so far the vin points to a possibly rare...ish car.

A factory Laguna nose is certainly a rarity. No idea of desirability in terms of value but that is not a real concern of yours anyway I'm betting.

Correct, but it's a nice bonus. And you won't believe what he traded in for this truck. A 1970 El Camino SS 454.

That’s a pretty cool option. And the other one would have been nice to have but I like this one a lot. Glad to see you are enjoying it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already got parts on the way. But it's summer, so my shop will be hotter than satan's fiery butthole, and I can't do hot. No idea when I'll get back out there.

Back