• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Grilled TriTip

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Wife picked up a couple tri tip steaks for me to throw on the grill.

Applied a very light layer of olive oil and then sprinkled it with a light dusting of a beef rub I found in the cupboard.

Threw them over some charcoal with a perferated wood chip box next to the coals. Covered and cooked until it got an IT of 145f. Removed and wrapped the beef in foil then in a towel to sit for 30+ minutes.

Belch!

3enegepy.jpg

ybujytu2.jpg

We had tritip steaks last night. I put them out for a few hours to come to room temp and put a seasoning mix of salt pepper, garlic and onion which I got from a Paula Dean recipe for doing the rib roast at Christmas. I had some left over and find it is awesome on pork, steaks and chicken! I brine chicken in it.

I love the idea of letting it rest in foil and a towel. I used the foil tent before, but wrapped and put in a towel is an awesome idea!

Mel

Tritip is my favorite but cant find it here locally. All the stores here already have them cut up into smaller pieces to get them the most $$$ unless you know someone in the meat dept. i get mine from a connection when i go to nc. I soak mine overnight in a homemade concoction of soy, teriyaki, a-1, red pepper, bourbon & seasoning before grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. That makes me special!

That's a new one for me. I've worked in 4/5 star restaurants before and never saw them do that for any steak. I'll try that on Sunday when I get back into town.

"cmayna" said:
Per the following meat smoking forum I belong to, they have always pressed the issue of wrapping your meat in a towel.

:wtf

sorry, but NONE of that sounds right. you sure thats a cooking forum you joined??? :confu

You guys are a bunch of sicko's. Butt to answer copasspupil's original question, here's the best explaination as quoted from the meat smoking forum:

When someone mentions that they wrapped the meat to rest, they mean wrapped in aluminum foil to hold onto the juices (and may also add some liquids for foiling), then towels to insulate, then often, into a cooler for more insulation. I recommend a double layer of foil for most meats, especially if foiling ribs for 3-2-1 or 2-2-1. The purpose is to allow the meat to slowly cool for better redistribution of the natural juices in the meat, and it also allows the meat to continue cooking for a period of time allowing for more tenderization of lesser cuts such as the beef brisket or pork shoulder cuts like boston butt or picnic. BTW, I rarely use just foil for either purpose, opting for a foil-covered pan in most cases...much less risk of leakage from the foil, and easier to handle as well, plus, you can preheat the pan for even longer resting periods with greater heat retention.

Another opinion:

Agreed on the foil pans, much better idea, the one drawback is they do tend to take up more room on the pit, but very little chance of losing that precious au jus. However, on the residual cooking (placing into the cooler hot), fantastic idea if your pulling the meat a bit before it's done or if you prefer your ribs to be well done, completely falling off the bone or your brisket is for pulling, not slicing. It's best if you vent the meat a bit on a table to allow the steam to escape from the foiling process and the IT to drop a bit or you stand a chance of ending up with overcooked meat, sometimes mush. For instance, on briskets, once they reach toothpick tenderness on the pit, I'll pull them off, open the foil (vent) until the IT has dropped below 180 or so. This will help keep the meat from residual cooking, but keep the meat nice and warm for 4 to 5 hours in the cooler, wrapped in towels and ready to serve.

Back