• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Havok Update (Picture Overload Warning) Updated 2/6

Havok1

Hey guys and girls. Haven't been posting a lot lately. Night shift takes a toll on me and while I'm browsing quite a bit, I don't get a chance to post. Add to that with the gallery change and I'm retarded when it comes to the original gallery, I haven't been uploading photos. Well, work has been going on. I've had a lot of help from my Dad and especially my granddad, Pappy. We've been taking off the rot, ordered new sheet metal, and I'm almost ready to start putting new metal on. I'm hoping to get to my parent's house this weekend and start by cutting out the floors and putting in the torque boxes and new floor pans. Here are some pictures of the progress up to now. I believe the last pictures I posted were when I got it back from the blaster, so I'll start there.

The cowl was the first thing to go.
12-19-1.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

Then came the radiator support. After it was blasted, we realized that the one on the car had been hacked and 1/3 to 1/2 of a different one had been welded to it.
12-29-2.jpg

Next was the right fender aprons.
12-29-4.jpg

IMG_8357.jpg

Finally came the tail panel and trunk.
IMG_8351.jpg

I was very pleased with the condition of the rear frame rails. Here's the right.
IMG_8353.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg

And the left
IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8355.jpg

Now the new metal is starting to be fitted in.
lefttrunk.jpg

righttrunk.jpg

radiatorsupport.jpg

Well, hopefully I'll have some new pictures to add to this after the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Havok Update (Picture Overload Warning)

Great progress Brian! Glad to see its coming around. Beautiful Lab BTW.

IMG_8357.jpg

Man, last time I rebuilt a mustang in the kitchen my wife wanted to kill me!! :craz

"Mustang Mike" said:
Man, last time I rebuilt a mustang in the kitchen my wife wanted to kill me!! :craz

:lol That's Man Land. Dad has everything you need to live in that barn just in case.... I'm just thankful to have a place with heat to work in.

"Fast68back" said:
Great progress Brian! Glad to see its coming around. Beautiful Lab BTW.

That's my Dad's lab Browning. They also have cats named Sig, Smithy, and Wesson. See a pattern here? :coo

That's my Dad's lab Browning. They also have cats named Sig, Smithy, and Wesson. See a pattern here?
:lol :lol
Love it!

That's great to see Brian. I'm sure your glad to start making a little progress. Sounds like ole Pappy got him some fun ahead too! Keep on going!

Looks like you are doing an awesome job! Keep up the good work. I look forward to some more updates.

Looks great Brian! It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

Looks great, Brian! Please keep the pictures coming. You're into the hardcore stuff now, man!

So what are your plans for project phoenix? Are you taking her back stock, true resto, or are you gonna make any changes?

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Looks great, Brian! Please keep the pictures coming. You're into the hardcore stuff now, man!

So what are your plans for project phoenix? Are you taking her back stock, true resto, or are you gonna make any changes?

Thanks Steve. Phoenix will definately not be concours queen, but I'm not doing a wild restomod either. My plans are to keep the overall look of the car like they are while updating things such as brakes to disc, hopping up the motor a little, and adding a/c for those days with 120% humidity that we get in the summer. I am gonna take it back to the original (or very close to) color of Vintage Burgandy and will probably keep the original interior color of dark red.

You have done a lot of work and have done a great job. I think this part is one of the most satisfying parts of a project. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress.

First thought that crossed my mind when seeing the photos is OMG! Then OMG again!

I agree with Darrel about this probably being the satisfying part of the restoration process! New pieces welded in, new metal, and starts taking shape of a Mustang again! Then a little primer here and there and looks great! Then all the little piddly expensive stuff starts~ ching ching!! I think I'd rather weld in another battery apron vs. the wiring stuff!! :craz I love the photos! keep up the great work!
dne'

"68EFIvert" said:
You have done a lot of work and have done a great job. I think this part is one of the most satisfying parts of a project. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress.

Its was a good day! :ecit We got the torque boxes and the new toe boards in. We also have the floor pans prepped. I did my first welding and though it was as ugly as homemade sin, it held. I think with time and patience, I'll get the hang of it and not burn through so much.

I ended up ordering the one piece Torque Boxes. On the passenger side, I am replacing a lot more of the Toe Board and the front fender aprons are off giving me a little more flexibility. That one went in with little problem. The driver side however would not go in no matter the amount of "massaging," so we drilled out the spot welds, took it apart, fit it, then put it back together in the car.

Driver Side Torque Box
IMG_8378.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

Passenger Side
IMG_8385.jpg

Then we worked on the toe boards.
IMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

We ended the day getting the floor pans ready for putting in. I don't know if we'll get to them in the morning before I leave, but I'm hoping to be back Wednesday to continue on. That's all for now.

"Havok1" said:
Its was a good day! :ecit We got the torque boxes and the new toe boards in. We also have the floor pans prepped. I did my first welding and though it was as ugly as homemade sin, it held. I think with time and patience, I'll get the hang of it and not burn through so much.

I ended up ordering the one piece Torque Boxes. On the passenger side, I am replacing a lot more of the Toe Board and the front fender aprons are off giving me a little more flexibility. That one went in with little problem. The driver side however would not go in no matter the amount of "massaging," so we drilled out the spot welds, took it apart, fit it, then put it back together in the car.

Driver Side Torque Box
IMG_8378.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

Passenger Side
IMG_8385.jpg

Then we worked on the toe boards.
IMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8382.jpg

We ended the day getting the floor pans ready for putting in. I don't know if we'll get to them in the morning before I leave, but I'm hoping to be back Wednesday to continue on. That's all for now.

Welds arent too bad. Its cool to see someone doing this. Tip for welding.... Turn down your heat setting. Watch your wire speed by looking at your welds and hearing your arc.

Brian,
I know I'm REALLY late getting this comment on, but the car is looking GREAT! It's certainly a lot different than the last time I saw it!! I finally got hot and heavy into the body work on the coupe you helped me pick up. Things are FINALLY moving forward on it too! Keep up the good work!

that looks like what I will be doing to my engine bay. did the core support come with the front frame rail or did you order that also? I am going to be ordering a core support and a drivers front apron..mines wrinkled and there is a trailer ball hitch indention in the front rail under the core support of mine...

Back